1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to deal with a band member that dislikes every name you come up with?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jaxom, Jun 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Airwaves

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Kennedy Square

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Sideswiping Stevens

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Station Agents

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Giants Under The Sun

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  6. 6 Days Later

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  7. The Colluders

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  8. The Brazen Bowls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Below Mendoza

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  10. Sumerian Ways

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  11. Sobremesa

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  12. Side Hustle

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Name the band after the guitar player and see if he shoots that down.

gebass6, Bobro and Iofflight like this.
  2. We had that issue many years ago when my longtime band Nephilym was trying to agree on a name. What we did was booked the conference room at a public librairy and agreed that we wouldn’t leave until the library kicked us out or we agreed on a name. It was a fun process. We used the chalk board in the room. Everyone was pretty into it. We ended up picking about a dozen names that we found in books we’d pulled off the shelves and narrowed it down from there. I’m glad we didn’t just go with some of the names that were originally suggested because most them were silly/joke type names. Not that I’m totally against that, my first band was more of a punk rock type of band, and we had a silly name. And half the people from that band ended up in Nephilym. But Nephilym marked a drastic change because the previous band we were in had a different singer that would say silly things in songs. And Nephilym right off the bat our first album had songs about very personal/serious things and highs and low. most our music is very bipolar. There are songs about love and hope, but we’ve also written songs about sleazy women, parents getting divorced, my singers dads heart attack, my dad passing, even dissociative identity disorder.

BeauZooka and Bobro like this.
  3. Ladies and gentleman, may we have a warm New York welcome please for Punchhiminthedickmaybe!

4. It is possible that all 50 of those names sucked as badly as his.
    I hate coming up with band names.

5. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    use his name in the bands name ..!!

Bobro likes this.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    In think it's the John Doh band. :)

HeavyBass, JRA and Bobro like this.
  7. People really get worked up over this stuff? Good lord. Call yourselves the Karrot Krew and go get some gigs....

JRA likes this.
  8. Half Deep?

JRA and Bobro like this.
  9. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    How about voting, majority rules?

10. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    I would destroy them

11. I googled ‘Gut.com’ and it’s still available. I hope one of you guys grab it before I do.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  12. Bobro

Bobro

Feb 22, 2018
    It's a guitarist, so you might have to bring a magnifying glass!

I get to bag on guitarists, I am one.

No drama with band names this time around, I just went up to the hottest young lady in town and said I'm starting a new band, it's called Shotgun, do you want to play bass for us? "Never played bass before, but how hard can it be,so sure!" (pro jazz singer and piano player, natural feeling on the bass just as I expected). Doesn't own a bass? No problem, we've got one for you and I'm going to build a custom bass for you, too.

13. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ

saabfender likes this.
  14. The modern version of The Commodores method of pointing to a word in the dictionary!

Little known fact: Carly Rae Jepsen originally proposed this as the title of what became Call Me, Maybe! (False Facts made possible by members like you!)

Slorra440 and HeavyBass like this.
  15. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    How about the Outlaw Wizard Kings?

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  16. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Reach for the Skyler is kind of catchy.

aborgman likes this.
  17. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

All band names are stupid until the band gets popular.

If he can't cooperate on this dumb minor issue, how are you going to make major decisions?

Here's one approach for a democratic band: everyone comes up with a list of nominations, say five names each. Anyone can veto a nomination IF they have a serious reason - an "I cannot possibly go out in public associated with that name" reason. (If he tries to veto huge piles of names for no good reason, give up and fire him). Then once you have a nomination list, everyone write down their three favorites, but they CANNOT vote for any of their OWN nominations. Most votes for a name wins. If there's a tie, do a runoff between the highest. If no nomination got more than one vote, eliminate the ones that got no votes, put the rest on a wall and throw a dart at it.

18. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    357 and the Magnums?

19. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Is an "enlightened entrepreneur" related to a benevolent dictator? Asking for a friend.

Renaissance likes this.
  20. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Agree to vote on the name. Have each member offer (up to) 2 band names. More than 2 makes the process too burdensome. Nobody gets to veto anything during this part of the process. Bring up each name, one by one. Have each person rate each name from 0 (hate it) to 5 (love it) points -- do this part secretly, as in each person writes the name and points on a piece of paper and throws it into a hat. After all names are voted on, together open the sheets of paper with the names/points. Name with most points wins. If someone hates that name, they're free to leave the band.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018