1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to deal with a scratch in nitro finish?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chef, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I just snagged an Alleva LG5 in nitro finish outta classifieds.
    It has a small scratch in the finish on the rear. I don't know if I should just let it be, or do something about it?

Here's a pic of the scratch; not the best photo, but the bass is still in transit:
    scratch005.

I've emailed Jimmy @Alleva to ask him this as well; but-can I/should I apply a little bit of clear over the scratch to keep it from peeling/migrating/otherwise getting worse...?

2. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    Character?

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I *really* don't care that it's there...but if some clear as a touchup would keep it from deteriorating there...then that's great.

4. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    You could drop some clear lacquer in (super glue will work in a pinch), then level sand through the various sandpaper grits and buff it out. If you're not experienced doing this it will be noticable and possibly look far worse than it does now.

Personally, I'd leave it alone. It doesn't look too deep in the photo, if it's not down to the wood it's unlikely to spread or get worse. I have a few chips taken out of nitro finishes that have been there for 20 years without changing. I only fill those that go down to the wood and make it easy to chip away a larger area of finish

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that Dan Erlewine's book on guitar repair has details on this - as I recall, it's a lacquer drop-fill/sand/polish process. If the damage is only in the lacquer itself, it shouldn't be too hard to work with.

6. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Yes, I think it's called "Guitar Finishing Step-By-Step". It's not all that hard to do, but I will not suggest for anyone to experiment on their favorite instrument if this is the first time they have done this.

Practice on scrap.