1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to deal with metalheads

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tsfender, May 31, 2011.

1. Tsfender

Tsfender

Apr 19, 2011
    First off, I mean no offense to any of you metalheads out there, and second not sure if this is they right place for this thread, but here it is.

I'm in a worship band at my youth church. I am the only bass player so I get a lot of playing time.

The problem is, I have a very different view on music then my bandmates. The rhythm guitarist, lead guitarist, and drummer are all die hard metal guys. Me on the other hand am a country boy with a punk side.

They all give me crap for my country influence and it's really getting on my nerves.

So here's my question. How do I deal with being the lone country lover in the middle of the hardcore metal guys?

Thanks guys

Tristan

2. Tell them metal is of the devil.

3. :D:D:D:D

4. Eater_of_Birds

Eater_of_Birds UK Extreme User

May 4, 2010
    Scotland
    speaking as a metal fan myself, i can sometimes take great pleasure being an elitist a-hole towards other forms of music, even though im actually pretty open minded and like a lot of stuff, including some country. just tell them to stick it and that willie nelson is a total badass.

5. Tsfender

Tsfender

Apr 19, 2011
    Haha! That would go over great! Lol

6. Wow, metal dudes playing gospel giving crap to a country and punk dude who is also playing gospel. :confused:

Not even sure where to start, man.

7. +1 on Willie Nelson! If that doesn't work, bring up Johnny Cash.

If the left one doesn't get ya, the right one will.

8. I have NEVER suggested this but................................................

........Pre Recorded Music Time!!!!!...................

sorry but the sound of metal and the 1 to the 5 in country simply doesn't get any more boring than that in music. Maybe a few beers and a joint and a praise to the lord along with a early Aretha Franklin tune might get you guys in the same place, maybe!!

9. Tsfender

Tsfender

Apr 19, 2011
    It's not like were playing death metal at the church. When were doing our thing, its like modern worship (think hillsong). It's just when we are hanging outside of practice and stuff. I guess Im just looking for some funny one liners or something to fire back.

10. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    How to deal with metalheads..... A skully filled with magnets works well.

11. I see..........................I got nothin'!!!!! Doc

12. Well, really the key words are "youth band". The members are young and have yet to understand the importance of the contribution of music from all genres. They would benefit from listening to your stuff and you would pick up some things listening to theirs. It should be an even trade off. If anything, maybe the members want you to play in their non-church bands & they're fishing around to see if you're interested in learning any of stuff in the metal style.

13. p0werslav3

p0werslav3

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Tell them the fact that they play in a church group negates their metal credibility ;)

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    ignore them. If you cannot, then remind them why you are there.

15. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Actually, traditional hymnody has quite a bit more in common with metal than country. Just sayin'...... :bag:

16. TBH it seems a little immature of them to be criticizing you for your music tastes. Everyone likes different stuff.

Maybe talk with them and show them what country and punk bass and music actually involve. You could even play something to them showing them good basslines and songs from those genres (I had a friend who mouthed off about punk being easy to play. Then I played him The Clash. He soon shut up).
    You could also try learning some metal bass and something about metal. Find common things between metal and the stuff you like.

17. Magnets.

18. IWishIWasBlank

IWishIWasBlank

May 28, 2011
    Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Let he who is without chops cast the first stone.

19. Old Joe

Old Joe Guest

Apr 22, 2011
    When I was actively playing, my main gig was at church. I considered myself a Metalhead at the time but, I was and still are a musician first. I enjoy playing all types of music, even if I don't listen to all genres.