Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to detect blown speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Jul 25, 2002.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Okay, so I'm buying a mesa 400+ and powerhouse 1000 cab together for $1200 from a guy i know who's band plays shows with us. I should be getting the amp next Friday and am pretty excited about it, except for one thing. The amp sounds great and for our bigger gigs I barely barely have to turn it, master on 5, volume on 2, not much. But if I turn the volume up more it starts getting a really nasty dirstorted sound, not overdriven or grindy, but distorted. The level that this comes out is a lot louder than practical playing volumes so it has never affected a performance and I didn't get to really experiment long. I've never heard blown speakers before and I'm wondering if this is a possibility or if maybe it's just the grill vibrating harshly. I'm not sure how to go about this and the speakers look fine from the outside but I was wondering if there's a way to tell if it is blown and if not how to fix my problem. Thanks.

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Take the grille off.

GENTLY push on the cone of each speaker, being careful to keep the motion on-axis. The motion should be smooth all the way, if you feel some rubbing or resitance then there is a problem with the speaker. Remeber, the speaker should not be pushed too far. If your elbow is inside the cab, you've definitely pushed too far.

3. i doubt its a blown speaker, as there is no distortion at lower volumes, i would think its just the valve amp running hard...maybe if you put the master on 10 (or higher than 5) and then keep the pre volume down lower it may sound better.
    if it was a completely blown speaker there would be no sound coming out of that particular speaker at all.
    there is another trick that i found ouyt with stuffing around with speakers is, insteaded on pushing them in, just simply lightly tap on them, make sure you are in a quiet place if there is any problems the sound made will be sorta distorted and grindy...if the speaker is fine the sound made will be a clean thud, this will show if there is a tear in the cone or if the coil is rubbing.

4. Blown Speakers exhibiting voice coil rub will not show until the volume reaches "medium," at lower volumes it will sound fine.

It doesn't have to be "completely blown" to be blown, or tired.

5. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    The other night our show was in a pretty large room with a tall ceiling and 150 people, my band was playing through TWO mesa dual rectifiers and one single recitifer plus a loud drummer and a roland keyboard amp. My bass was still too loud. So at fairly loud volumes it sounds good but once it gets LOUD is when it breaks up, is there any chance of it being the grill?

6. could it be underpowered speakers??? Blown speakers can be checked with a multimeter and they should show infinite or at least very high resistance.

I fixed a couple of PA speaker "towers" aka five 8 inches in a box. One of the speakers at the top sounded really distorted. I think its just been pushed too far.

:D:D

Merls

7. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    my amp does this... u gotta turn down the gain bit by bit till it goes away.

8. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    there's no gain on the amp

9. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    herm... odd.... take it down to stockdale music... or front porch then...

10. by gain he means pre or volume, try using just the mast to turn it up and leave the pre or volume down lower and see if that stops it...