Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to determine selling price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kehs, May 30, 2003.

1. Is there any kind of price guide to help me determine how much I should sell my bass? My asking price for a Musicman Sterling was $900 plus shipping, the person I'm talking with has asked for $800 including shipping. It's only a few months old, burnt apple finish and matching headstock.

Am I asking for too much?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What's a new one go for? What did YOU pay? Have you checked online dealers and eBay?

For an almost new bass, I'd want to see 25-30% off what a new one costs. Otherwise, might as well just buy a new one myself.

As a buyer, I'm going to try to chew down a seller. As a seller, I will ask for more than I really want because I expect to be chewed down :D

3. I have checked eBay and other used dealers for examples--I just didn't know whether I should expect to ask as much as a dealer for a used bass. I paid $1300 for it.

Thanks for the advice.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    A general rule of thumb for used gear is approximately 50% of the LIST price when new. This is not an absolute, but a good guideline. You also need to consider age, condition and current market value.

And, when selling, be prepared for offers below your target price and people who want you to cover shipping.

There are a lot of Musicman basses available, so you may need to be patient to get the price you want. If you need the cash quickly, you may need to accept a lower offer.

Good luck

5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    That sounds nearly right... and if it's only a couple months old you might be able to do the $900 that you want... just haggle alot, and see what you come up with :)

P.S.- Welcome to talkbass!

P.P.S.- Shouldn't this be in misc. or something?

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    When I talked to the guys at Bass NW about pricing used or consigning my bass, they said for the general rule of thumb; used pricing is 1/2 of what the manufacturer list price would be.

Just a comparison though, every retailers site has used Stingray 5's for $900-$950, so about $850 for a 4 string would be about right.
    I also just looked up the list price of $1925 for a burnt apple Stingray, so again, $850 would be about right.

7. Oops, I guess the Misc. forum would be a better place.

Thanks guys--I've only posted once before because I've been using the search feature. :D