Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to determine the reslae value of your bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The topic is pretty much what it sounds like. I know of the old addage, "It's worth whatever you can get for it", but beyond that, how do you go about determining how much to set the price of a bass you'd like to sell at?

I'm asking because I have a great bass (a Ken Smith BSR6P) that's in mint condition that I'm thinking of selling because, even though it's the nicest electric bass I've ever owned and one of the finest I've ever played, I'm going to stop playing electric entirely and invest the extra money into another DB.

Are there any basic "blue-book" type reference guides out there for basses, or do you just ask for as much as you think you can get?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

2. there is a "blue book" for guitars and basses but I don't have it. mabey someone who does can look it up for you.

on the higher end custom basses like that it is a little different. your best bet would be to check out places like ebay and online classifieds and see what other basses similar to yours are selling for.

3. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I have the "blue book" and without knowing the specifics, if it is a burner and if it is TRULY MINT and almost any used bass is not, it would be worth $1600. If it if 95% it is listed at $1,050 so, that 5% makes a HUGE difference. Good luck. Joe

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It's not a burner, rather a 6-string version of this bass:

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Chris,

As rule, used stuff goes anywhere from 50-70 percent of what it can actually be purchased for new. Where in that range exactly depends on demand and the availability of the product new. Ken used to post both the MSRP and the new "street" price of his stuff on his site. I am not sure if he still does.

You mat be able to run a few googles and find a few out there (or once where out there) to give you some idea of the asking price.

Guessing, I would say somewhere between $2,500 and $3K.

Then again, I think I am taking all of this helpful info back since it has been two days and you haven't said anything nice about my new Shen. :)

Chas

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Oh, yes I have!

Thanks Chaz. I just checked out Bass Central, and one just like it (but in less attractive wood) just went for $2295. If I could get in that ballpark, I'd be happy. Thanks for the info!

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey hissy fit!

good to seeya 'round these parts.

but i usually just head to ebay, do a search for my bass that's similar, and make sure i click the "Completed Items" link. there, you'll be able to see a few ebay auctions that have ended. average up a few of the final bids, and you'll get a general concensus of what your item's final price would be.

not exactly exact, but a good indicator. but if in good condition, i usually shoot for 3/4 of the price i originally bought the item.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hey, wassup CRACKERJACK KNEE? Thanks for the tip. I must have done something wrong, since I tried a "completed items search and only found one BSR6P, and that auction ended today. Can you give me a coupla tips on finding older items with that kind of search? Your efforts will not go unappreciated. :)

9. Your gonna be pissed about his. I have a bsr6p that i have been trying to sell. Bluebook is 1475. I cant sell mine to save my life. There is no market for high end used basses. Mine is 4a walnut top/back all options exept the switches. Yor gonna find that everybody wants it but nobody wants to pay for it.
    :(

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If it will only go that low, I'll probably just keep it. Thanks for the tip, though.

11. I find the best way to gauge what an instrument is worth is http://www.ebay.com

After all, ebay tells you directly what people are willing to pay. The problem with things like blue books is that they are static numbers. It's a lot easier to gauge what the market is like for something on ebay and it's fast too.

12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Ebay is probobly the best indicator of what the market is willing to bare rather than what the bass is worth. Smith's like yours sell in the area of 1400-1800 depending on condition and options of course. Best advice would be to keep your bass unless you don't mind taking a huge hit because of the downward economy.

13. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I think at the moment eBay completed items search only goes back one month. If anyone has a tip on how to search back further, please pass it on. TIA :oops:)