1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to determine where to sell a bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Growler, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    I'm thinking of selling my bass and I'm not sure where to sell it? So far I can think of three options with any immediate concerns I might have.

1. 1. Local Consignment. There's a guitarshop (not GC) near me, which would save me on shipping costs, though they do take a piece of the sale. I bought a bass from the store that owns the consignment shop so I think they're pretty solid people.
    2. 2. eBay. Shipping concerns and other misc fees.
    3. 3. TB. Shipping concerns.

While fewer people would see the bass in the local shop, it would save me the headache/hassle of shipping it. As far as shipping goes, I have the hardcase that the bass came in, but what kind of box do you put the case into? Could I go to a local guitar shop and hope they have cardboard box that would fit a hard bass case?

Any tips or experiences would be appreciated.

2. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    4. Craigslist. You sell it locally to a local person. And all the plusses and minuses therein.

3. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Boxes are hard to find. I have had limited success at local music stores, but you have to be there at the right time.

4. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    TB and craigslist are the only way to go man! You deal with low-life scum on ebay - not that they don't exist elsewhere, but seem to swarm auctions in droves on there. And consignment shops probably don't do much if any advertising (I don't even know of any in business still around here) and have a limited customer base, not to mention they take a pretty decent sized cut.

If you're concerned about shipping, just figure that cost into the sale price - like X bass costs $Y dollars shipped in the continental US. Figure it out so that the furthest point from you is what it will cost - and then leave a little room to negotiate too. Don't take a beating on the price, but be fair ya know. Just about everyone with a computer can find out what the going price is on something in a few clicks.

5. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    +1

6. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    OR you can list it for $x plus actual shipping. Once you get the buyers ZIP code you can pretty easily get a shipping quote from any of the major shipping service co's out there.

7. tercesyrev

tercesyrev Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Sell on TB, may take a little longer than ebay but . . . no fees and a great target market. I just sold a guitar and made a very strong shipping container out of three egg boxes I got at the local grocery store for free. Egg boxes are very sturdy and have the perfect depth and width. Simply stack them, tape the lower box's flaps to the outside of the upper box, tape the upper box's flaps to the inside of the lower box. Repeat for the third box. Just use some good packaging tape and stuff with bubble wrap. Took a little a bit of time but only cost me $15 vs. $50 + UPS would have charged. Buyer was totally impressed. Craigs List is a good option as well. The fees on Ebay are getting ridiculous.

8. nealpolitan

nealpolitan

Dec 10, 2009
    St. Paul, MN
    I agree with craigslist followed closely by TB and then ebay a distant 3rd. Shipping isn't that bad, just time consuming. I've had to make my own boxes ala the above poster a couple times and while the first one kind of sucked, once I knew what to do, it went easier after that.

I sold a bass on ebay a few months back and at that time, the ebay and paypal charges were over 10% of the purchase price (I think it was a total of $40 for a $350 bass + $45 shipping auction). So take that into consideration when pricing locally and on TB.

The consignment shops around here take 20-30% and usually have a minimum charge (usually $50, so it would be 20-30% or 50$, whichever is greater). I have not tried that as I've had good luck selling things on my own.

Good luck!

9. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    If I was to sell it via Craigslist, how would the buyer test it out? I've bought/sold things via CL in the past, like concert tickets, and we would normally meet in some public place (parking lot near a Starbucks or something like that). I really do not want some stranger coming over to my house so they can test out the bass in my amp, and I'm not too keen on bringing the bass to someone's house. I just have personal safety concerns.

Any tips on CL?

10. nealpolitan

nealpolitan

Dec 10, 2009
    St. Paul, MN
    Sounds like selling and shipping via the classifieds here or on ebay are for you then.

It's good to be careful when dealing through craigslist. Even with guitars and such, I really try and meet in public to make the exchange. I've bought a couple amps and went to the guys houses for those, but only after a lengthy email and/or phone exchange so I could do my best to screen out the crazy.

Good luck

11. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you can't find a bass-sized box at a guitar store, I've found most packing-supply places have what's called a "mirror box" that is a good large sturdy flat box; you have to cut the width down to size, but it's a great quality of box, and costs typically like $5. Also bicycle boxes are a good starting point, just cut down the width. Those can sometimes be gotten for free from bike shops.

12. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I've met people at GC or other music shops to test out gear. GC really doesn't seem to mind.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021