1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to dial tones on an Ampeg SVT Pro 3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oli2012, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

Recently upgraded from an old Peavey MKIV to an Ampeg SVT Pro 3 with an Ampeg 410HLF (I run it with a J, would prefer a P but alas, tiny hands).

My issue is I have no idea how to dial any good tones in - all guitar magazines have a section 'play like your favourite artist', this tends to be lacking in bass magazines where you experiment and create your own sound, which is frustrating for me as Im a plug-and-play kinda guy.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some hard rock settings I could use - something hard rock along the lines of Buckcherry and GnR as well as a cleaner sound for those odd occasions I play some jazz or motown.

Also - with the master and tube gain turned up the amp tends to be noisey, even at low volumes. Is this normal or should I look at getting the head cleaned?

- thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's somewhat normal. Could also mean a tube or two is on its way out. But I've found the best sounds from the 3 Pro come from cranking the gain and using the master to set volume. The signal gets a little more juiced that way. Then just set the dials to taste.

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I used to have to crank the last slider on the graphical EQ to help get full volume. That way I could set the preamp gains lower for cleaner tones.