1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to dim the MXR blue LED?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PluckyThump, Jul 11, 2012.

1. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    I've got a couple MXR pedals and when they're on the piercing-blue LED feels like it's going to burn holes right through my eyes. Anyone found a good way to tone those mothers down that's reversible? I was thinking maybe dab it in the middle with a sharpie but that may be permanent.

2. Piece of tape. Done. On to bigger problems.

3. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    I had a bright blue LED on a monitor of mine, and it was ridiculously distracting, I stuck a piece of Yellow electrical tape over it, and now it's fine!

4. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    Tape, and DONE!
    I had used a piece of red tape intended to patch broken car taillights. Not only did it dim the bright light, it also turned it red. Can't stand bright blue LED's!

Another idea: put a drop of hot glue over the LED.

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I use a piece of tape as well. Works great.

6. I vote tape. Masking tape is good as you can still get light though it.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Don't stare directly at it?

8. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Yeah, I had blue painters tape over the tempo light on a Dd-20 cause it was distracting me so much.

9. ugh.. +1

+1 on the painters tape. If you ever decide to take it off it won't leave the sticky residue on your pedal.

10. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    On a dark stage I have to look at it when I stomp on it and that damn blue retina-burner practically blinds me.

Painter's tape does the trick!

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've colored one layer of black sharpie over lights like that. It tints it just enough to not look cheesy like tape, and enough light comes through.

12. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Sunglasses?

13. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    green painters tape on my Eden WTDI.

You can make it neat or leave it unsightly. When it's dark is when you'll want the tape and nobody can see your pedals then anyway.

14. moose23

moose23

Dec 27, 2007
    Builder Moose23 Electronics
    The actual answer is to find the resistor that controls current to the LED and replace with a larger value. Of course a bit of tape works well too. :)

15. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I keep a roll of medical paper tape in my pedal drawer. I just add layers of it over the LED until the damn thing stops giving me a migraine - seriously, blue LED's are evil.

When I decide to sell or trade a pedal, a little Goof-Off takes care of any residue.

16. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    On tape you can also write your settings