1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to disassemble or open a Dynacord Bass King amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I have tried now for about an hour to figure out how to open up my new Dynacord Bass King amp but without luck.

My plan was to change the 16 Ohm output from the output transformer to the speaker out to the 8 Ohm pin, but the damn thing wont open.

Also need to know this if I am going to change tubes at some point.

Is it me who is a complete idiot or is it possible that the guy who restored the amp assembled it in some way, using super glue or whatever that makes it impossible?

If someone who have knowledge of these amps could tell me how you usually get access to the electronics I would appreciate very much, I am getting slightly desperate.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    It can't be changed externally???

3. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    No the whole actual amp including the tubes (the guts) is like in a metal chassis, this is how these amps are build, and this is how mine and most other Bass King amps I have seen looks:

2qcqfxz.

There's like a front panel and a back panel enclosing the kind of grill like metal plate wrapped around it in one piece with the end of it under the amp.

From what I've seen of pictures of other disassembled Bass Kings it looks like you can slide it out of the grill like metal plate chassis by loosening the screws on the back panel and then slide the guts out, which is attached to a frame, including the front panel.

But this approach doesn't seem to work.

You can see how it is out of the chassis without the back panel but with the front panel still attached in this thread:
    NAD! (vintage all tube content) 1964 Dynacord Bass-King

4. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Problem solved.

It turned out it was indeed diassembled the way I described it, the plug for the fuse just was somewhat stucked in the chassis and together with the fact that it is quite heavy, that was what keeped me from sliding it out.

At least we now have a thread about how this is done.

Note: Remember to take off the handle as well as it is attached to both the chassis and the frame the electronics is build around!