1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to dispose of old shellac

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, May 11, 2006.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hey all,

I've got left-over shellac from a project last year. Can anyone suggest how to properly dispose of it? I figured this would be a better place to ask, as I know a few folks here have experience with it in finishing. It's jarred and all, but it's really warm here, and I'd hate to come home from work and find my garage has exploded...thanks.

paul

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Where I live we have a place to bring hazardous material like used oil paint etc. Sponcered by the municiple govn. Keeps the stuff out of the land fill. Or you can leave it in a shallow container with the lid off and let it harden making it less volitile.

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I was thinking about doing that, but it'd either have to be done overnight (or successive nights) or I'd have to wait for some cooler days. I'd hate to have denatured alcohol fumes causing a flash fire.

4. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Toss it out the back door of your shop!!!!!! The DEP will never find out.

5. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, just toss it in the yard. Shellac is non-toxic (its what coats M&M's and medication) and denatured alcohol is mostly ethanol with some extra crap (usually methanol) added so you can't drink it and so you don't have to pay liqour tax. If you had to pick one finish to pour on the ground shellac would be it.