Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to do a muted "flutter"?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by jarski, Mar 17, 2003.

1. I listened to a couple of funk pieces, and noticed this groovy sounding "flutter" trick. I started wondering how it's done and came to the conclusion it's done by muting the string(s) fith left hand and striking the string with the nailside of index,middle etc. fingers consecutively, but i'm not sure about this at all. So you wouldn't happen to know how to do it?

The terms i use here are probably 99,9% inunderstandable, i don't know much english terms.. Hope you can make something out of it.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    It would help if I new which pieces you were referring to so I could hear the "flutter" trick you are talking about. Let me know which pieces you heard or the bassist performing them

Mike

3. Here's one with some on it..Don't know the artist or anything, (i think this is from a PC game), so i just attached it here. And sorry for the bad quality of the file, couldn't fit it in in better format.

thanks for all the trouble.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    That "flutter" sound is a slapped bass part played through an Envelope Filter such as a Mutron III, Q-Tron or EBS Bass IQ

Mike

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    It sounds like the "flutter" is "ghost notes" in the slap line. If you listen under the envelope sound, I think that is what he is talking about. I am not sure about the technique involved in it, but I think it is just fast consecutive plucking of a muted string.

Listen to the sound clip I attached, is that the sound you are refering to?