Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to do i get a balanced sound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Feb 10, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i am unsure of how to get the tone i am after. I really dont like the sound of the tone pot when it is not totally maxed at ten. It sounds muddy with no life otherwise. BTW i play thru a wizzy 112 and ai clarus so the amp/cab is not an issue. Tone-wise what i am after is a balanced sound. I would like all the strings to ring out at a similar depth. Right now, what happens is that when i hit notes like a low G i get a sound that is not in sync with the d and g string. I guess what i am saying is that i want the d and g strings to sound deeper but still have the highs or at least not that muddy sound. I may try heavier gage of strings (currently i use d'addiro Chromes) for the d and g but then that affects the low tension which is very important to me.

any suggestions?

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've found D'Addarios aren't quite as balanced as they could be. Even sometimes having a weak feel to them. I switched to DRs and haven't looked back.

DRs, especially the 50-110's that I use, have a very massive tone to them. They don't sound deep, necessarily, just more powerful. They've got a good balanced tone, but sound very nice after they lose their "new edge".

-Eric.

3. If you want an overall balanced sound, I'd recommend a set of Dean Markley Blue Steel strings. www.deanmarkley.com/Strings/Bass/BlueSteelBa.shtml

They're definitely the most consistently balanced set of strings I've come across. Not the deepest bass, or the cleanest highs, but very balanced across the board. I usually use the .45 - .105 set.

Check 'em out.

Good luck.

Mike ;)

4. +1

I use 50-70-85-105-128 for a even fuller sound on the d and g strings.