How to dress

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by LowNloud1, Mar 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    I am no spring chicken but I play in a 90's band. I struggle with how to dress appropriately. I am too old to look young so wearing a baseball cap backwards is not a good look for me. I could dress like a Blues Brother but then I look like I am out of place.

Sometimes I think the BBrother look will serve as a gimmick for people to remember the band.

Sometimes I think just wearing jeans, a t-shirt and a baseball cap in the normal way would be best. Blend in with the other guys who are in their 30's. Let's just say I am closer to 60.

Any advice for a conflicted brother bassist?

2. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    flannel

3. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    The biggest bugaboo around here is shorts, particularly cargo shorts.
    Baseball hats are widely disputed, with good argument being made that they are often a reasonable choice for players with male pattern baldness.

I would aim for keeping it as simple as possible, you don't want to look like you are trying too hard. Go shopping with a woman in her twenties (or engage
    a clerk) and buy jeans that are NOT dad cut. Add a black shoe and black long sleeve or t-shirt and leave it at that.

4. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Chuck's, jeans, t-shirt, tie flannel around waist.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Black pants, black shirt, black doc like boots or chucks. It's the safest bet, always.

bass81800, Alik, mike o and 24 others like this.
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Here's some reading material to get you started...
    Gig clothes?
    Lack of style
    How Important Is Appearance For A Bar Gig Cover Band?
    Band photos: DIY or Pro
    What are you guys wearing onstage these days?
    Costumed Cover Bands: Yay or Nay?
    Dressing alike - I feel like a Wiggles

My thoughts: look like you're in a band. That would mean taking it up a notch from your ordinary street clothes, and look like you belong together. But don't push it to the point of absurdity; no need for overweight people to squeeze themselves into spandex or older people to dress like they're teenagers or anything.

There are a gazillion bands out there that gig in jeans and tshirts. That's safe. It's also boring as hell. Find that balance where you look like you made an effort to look good, without looking like you're trying too hard. That's the trick. A lot of the time it's not a matter of going far out, so much as in the details. Fitted clothes rather than baggy shapelessness, a distinctive pair of shoes or belt, a jacket in an unusual fabric, a touch of jewelry at your neck or wrist, can make a lot of difference.

Genre matters too. If you're playing country, you want a different look than if you're playing grunge or punk, obviously.

Here's my favorite look for myself (I'll take any excuse to share this pic, I'm so vain)
    11107179_1594517587481906_4407454921881482293_n-jpg.jpg

bearfoot, bass81800, Beej and 26 others like this.
  7. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Leather

Dgl44, LowNloud1 and hrodbert696 like this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. 90s band? You can be the grunge guy in your 90s Village People.

LowNloud1 likes this.
  9. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish Inactive

Oct 24, 2006
    Grand Junction, CO.
    I'm a coat and tie guy as well. Perhaps the problem is it's a "90s" band? :smug:

LowNloud1 and hrodbert696 like this.
  10. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Speedo and cowboy hat

11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Lux Interior of the Cramps dressed that way past sixty, why not OP.

12. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I tear up everytime his name is mentioned, I miss him

13. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    One of the most rebel-rousing performers I ever saw. I saw him work a room of perhaps 2,000 to a fever pitch (Perkin's Palace, Pasadena CA, early 80s).

And I had the pleasure of tackling him on the dace floor of The Roxy around the same time -- Psychedelic Jungle was the album being promoted -- when he
    did a stage dive during "The Crusher." He was very sweaty and had surprisingly small shoulders, I recall from our tussle... Hey, I'm getting misty now, too.

14. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I also do not know how to dress for a performance. I'm in a metal band, but I only have two black t-shirts, and the sleeves are intact. I have short hair and no tattoos. I am totally lost. If necessary, I will default to my high school band uniform of black pants and a white button up shirt.

15. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    As far as the "dad cut" jeans - as a chunky 50-something guy when I get normal jeans in a size to fit my waist the legs are ridiculously baggy. I recently discovered Levi's 511 "Slim" fit jeans - you can get them in big waist sizes but the legs are slimmer (note - not "skinny jeans"!). They are tough to find in stores - I order direct from Levi's or JC Penney on-line.
    Lately I've been wearing a pair of black mid-top Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars. I have a pair of Vans I wear sometimes too.

16. Beavisplaysbass

Beavisplaysbass

Dec 11, 2015
    You are playing metal, stop caring of what others think of you. That's metal.

17. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Whatever, dude.

LowNloud1 and bolophonic like this.
  18. Beavisplaysbass

Beavisplaysbass

Dec 11, 2015

LowNloud1 and Old Blastard like this.
  19. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I would definitely recommend against wearing a baseball cap.
    They're made for keeping the sun off your noggin & out of your eyes, so there's no reason to wear it indoors.

20. I see pics of a lot of older guys on here with expensive gear showing up to gigs in jeans, white sneakers and a band T-shirt...
    DO NOT DRESS LIKE THEM!
    That look when out of style before it came into style...