How to Eq' For a Difficult Venue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Clef, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Hi Everyone, was wondering if there is any advice or thoughts on eq'ing a very frustrating venue I played 2 nights in a row over the weekend. Had a hard time trying to get a half decent sound.
    The venue has floor to ceiling glass windows right around. The stage is raised hollow wooden type, and the dance floor immediately infront of the stage was tiled (ceramic type).
    The venue is 250-300 people.
    I was playing thru a Eden WT550 ,and Epi110UL with a Epi112 UL cabs. Normaly get a great sound in most venues out of this setup. This particular venue has given me problems always in the past also. Just can't seem to hear any definition, the bass sounds like crap in this type of venue.
    I try to avoid extreme eq settings on the Eden but not sure which frequencies I should be adjusting. Maybe the speakers don't work for this type of venue, maybe I need a 410 box or 2 x 210 boxes. Not sure NEED HELP.

Aslo how do you determine which frequencies need adjusting.
    What I do on the Eden semi-parametric is turn the level control of the parametric section to about 3 o'clock and then just rotate the frequency control left to right to listen to hear which frequency sounds louder. This is how I determine which frequency needs to be cut. IS THIS THE RIGHT WAY for eq'ing to the room.
    Thanking you all in advance.
  2. Dudaronamous

Dudaronamous Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Bothell, WA