How To EQ Your Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rhodes3944, Aug 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rhodes3944

Rhodes3944

Aug 2, 2018
    How should one go about EQing their bass amp? Should they use less or more? How should you you set gain, master etc.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Everyone's knob settings and needs are different. Make it sound good.

orangejulius3 likes this.
  3. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    Set everything towards 12 o’clock, then mess around until your ears are happy!

Settings change depending on acoustics of the room, stage, or bass guitar.

The way I set my amp, I usually start with gain, then mids, then treble, then bass, then I set the overall master volume

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    klokker likes this.
  4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
  5. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Me, and Scott Devine have the same ideas about amp EQ. Master up high, Bass at 1:00, mid (or more than one mid) at 12:00, treble at 11:00. Doesn't matter what brand amp. Use gain control as volume. Rock until closing time.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Turn knobs till it sounds good to you, then stop.

basscapes and Paulabass like this.
  7. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    Keeping in mind, of course, that no battle plan survives the first contact with the enemy. By which I mean, setting your bass and amp to sound good when you’re alone may need to be changed once you start to play with others. This is sometimes called “sitting well in the mix.”

Linnin, BadExample and klokker like this.
  8. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I suppose that you could get into trouble if you crank the bass all the way up, and then crank the volume way up. You COULD potentially damage your cab that way. But other than that, just about anything goes. Some people like a lot of treble, others don't, some go for a "scooped" tone (usually turning the mids down and a little extra treble and bass), some people like more mids and less low end (me). Warm and fuzzy, bright and clangy etc. You'll hear it all.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!!!

Different amps are different.

In some cases, knobs are boost only. This means all the way left is no boost or cut. Turning it to the right will boost that frequency range. Some are cut only. Some are boost and cut.

So people who tell you to start with every amp at "mids at 2 o'clock" or whatever don't care enough to answer your question seriously.

"Turn the knobs until it sounds good" is a cop out.

First, tell us what kind of amp you have. Then we can look up what "flat" is on that particular model. Start there. Play a while. Decide if you need more or less of something.

10. If using sliders, frowning face, not smiling face. :thumbsup:

11. Gain I set between 1/3-1/2 and leave it. That’s not your loudness knob. Master controls loudness.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Less is more. Try cutting before boosting.

patrickj likes this.
  13. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    IMHO, best advice yet. Such a (seemingly) simple question, with so many complicated answers. @twofingers is giving you a great place to start.

two fingers likes this.
  14. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Typically, I start out with a bass and a rig that generally sound pretty good with flat settings, then I'll EQ as necessary to adjust for a particular room or environment. Doesn't need much tweaking.