1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to fake an EBS Fafner???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zanthrax, Jun 23, 2005.

1. I've had the oppurtunity to try an EBS Fafner rig twice and it always ends in the same thing...GAS, extremly severe GAS and I alwayas realize the same thing, I can't afford it in my current position (I'm a student). To make matters worse I've tested it under two completly differnt conditions, first time it was in a very soft setting with only acoutic guitar and piano and second time it was with a pop/rock band and it pulled it off excellent both times so it's versatile as h***!

Enough with my agony.

I currently play through a Taurus 2x10 and although it is a good amp (I have no problem getting good sounds out of it) the Fafner sounds even better. I've thought about getting an active extensioncab to it (a 1x15) but in the end I don't think that will adress the issue. I belive that it is the tube that is the reason, while I have a EBS MultiDrive (currently my my miracle pedal, I throw it in front of almost every amp I have to play on) that I run in front if the amp it's not really the same thing, mainly because the tube in the Fafner don't seem to add as much overdrive but just "warmth".

Does anyone know of an "el' cheapo"-variant? Preferably a seperate preamp/poweramp solution. I don't expect anything to be spot on, except for a Fafner, but anything closer than what I have now is appreciated.

Oh, and I doubt that I will be comfortable with an all tube solution. I have this feeling that I will think that it's response is a bit sluggish...

All suggestions appreciated. :)

2. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Wait few month and buy the new EBS pedal board preamp.
    It will be a one tube preamp with bass, medium trebble, drive and gain controls.
    You can add an Graph EQ if needed, it will be perfect.

FAFNER RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Is there more info on this preamp?
    I've searched EBS site and there is no information.
    I need more info :bawl:

4. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Informations aren t yet available.

It s a pedal preamp with 1 tube (like the fafner head) and it s just a little bit bigger than the microbass2.
    Controls are gain, bass, medium (without parametric knob), trebble.
    The warm sounding is very fafner like.
    Moreover, this preamp has an important feature that I wanted the microbass2 to have: A TRUE BYPASS!!!
    You can choose between a true bypass and a mute like in the microbass2.
    And also, the Vintage knob gives you a very particular drive.

But be carefull:
    !!! No compressor and no bright control !!!

[​IMG]

Do you look for a killer Wah peadl too? :D

[​IMG]

Other pics at http://fr.audiofanzine.com/salons/index,page,14,idsalon,15.html

5. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    GAS(p) now Iwant one :hyper:

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    [​IMG]

Looks nice! Any update on when these will be available?

Tom.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I thought EBS gear was dirt cheap in Sweden.

8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I thought Ferraris were dirt cheap in Italy.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Take any bass amp, smash it with a hammer a few times, and it will sound just like my Fafner did, since it was broke more than it worked.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They're not?

11. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    The absence of parametric mids of the new EBS preamp is very disapointing for me.
    It is just a great amount of versatility that will disapear.

Sheers

12. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    Parametric mids are on board!!!

13. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The valve drive preamp/pedal is listed in the new printed EBS catalog I got at my local dealer. The list price is 2865 Swedish kronor (about $370). In comparison the MicroBass II is $470 and the Fafner is $2070. But these are listprices and you might get up to 15% discount.
    Hope this helps!

14. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    An alternative might be to buy a used Ampeg SVP Pro preamp - usually around 350 shipped. It has a lot of tubes, overdrive, graphic eq, etc... I love the tone I get from mine.

15. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Now, I havent tried the Fafner. But as a rule, Ampeg and EBS amps sound nothing alike.

16. Well I'm with Jack on this one. I have tried the Fafner and I've tried Ampegs. I don't like the "Ampeg sound" so I doubt that an SVP-PRO would achieve what I'm after. Thanks for trying though. :)

The ValveDrive seems to be the best alternative so far so when I can pony up the cash I'll buy one.

17. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Have you tried the SVP Pro Preamp or the SVT 2 Pro?

They are not like the SVT3/4/5, B2R, SVT Classic and all the others.

18. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Very interesting unit. Does it have a DI?

19. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    No DI according to the catalog. This pedal seems a lot more simplistic than the Microamp II.
    I talked to a guy that helped develop the MicroBass II and he wanted a tube in there all allong. But turned out it would be a far too expensive unit.

20. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    Sorry, but for me the Tube Drive is a luxury drive pedal and not a preamp. If I talk of a preamp I mean the microbass II.