How to fatten up my tone???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pako, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    For lack of a better sub-forum to choose from, I hope I found the best spot.

I recently aquired a SWR SM-900 and a Goliath III (4x10") cabinet!

I love every pop and tight punch that this setup can produce, but am having problems getting that warm body that I was used to.

Being in a blues/funk band, I had great bottom, warm tone with my old rig, but lacked any definition and punch for slap. Well now I have plenty of that, but lost my bottom in the process.

I would imagine that what I'm missing is my old 15" cab pushing the warm lows. Does anyone suggest a cabinet (from experience) that would add some warmth and bottom back to my tone that would compliment the current 4x10" setup?

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
  3. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    I heard an Aguilar 2x12 that had wonderfull lows. But you could also add an MXR bass d.i. which allows some really nice tube like sounds with it's color switch or get the aguilar d.i. box which has a tube but expensive. Oh, did I mention the Alembic fx 2 and fx3 ( I think that is what they are called) preamps? Sound great but cost ALOT.
  4. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Were you thinking of anything specific? Eden and Aguilar have quite a wide varity of products to choose from... ;)

Are you think of my source rather than the sound re-enforcement? With the correct pre-stage equipment, you think I can get the tone I want out of a 4x10" cab?
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    maybe you just need to tweak your amp a bit more.. i know everytime i get something new i have to change it up

when i got my elrick recently. i had to change the setting on my amp.. It sounded great but i was looking for a certain something you know? then when I got my SWR IOD preamp last week... well even though it is a "simple" preamp (not tones of knobs and buttons) it took me awhile sitting down and tweaking it to get what i was looking for.. I play through a 4x10 cab and I have a good low end growl IMHO. Just do some more tweaking.. i think you will find it soon enough...
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's why God made 15's and 18's and adjustable crossovers. Specifically, an Eden or an Aguilar with a Sansamp (or other great preamp like the gear kboyd mentions) in front of it. Using thinner strings isn't an option for me.

I haven't found any 10's yet that give me the big bottom I insist on. I can make every bunch of 10's I've tried fart out, IME....(with the exception of an Ampeg 8x10).

I imagine there are other solutions, but that's just my experience.
  7. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Try some multi-efx pedals
  8. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    you could grease your strings?:p
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Two words: Aphex 204

10. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Instead of throwing more money at the problem, try these things:

Turn the horn almost all the way off on the cab

Turn gain as high as you can go without it distorting

Turn the treble and transparency on the head to about 9 o'clock.

Turn bass to about 3 o'clock

Aural enhacer to 11 o'clock

Bump up one of the eq bands around 150-200 hz by 6db

See if that helps.

If it doesn't, send the rig to me and I'll put it through extensive testing for you.
  11. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    If you are willing to go the fX/money-throwing route, try finding a DOD Meatbox pedal.

I can grab the manual later for some specific details, if you'd like.
  12. I long ago tossed my full-on SWR rig because a "fat tone" was nowhere to be found. I had an SM400+Goliath. After I plugged into Mesa tube gear i realized what a sham my SWR rig had been. If you can't get close to that sound flat, no amount of EQ-ing is going to get you there either.
    Do follow ihixulu's suggestions tho'.
  13. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    You might want to try a Yamaha NE-1 parametric Eq.
    IMO, this adds a lot of roundness & warmth- real easy to dial in as well.
  14. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    I think you need to narrow down where your problem lies. I have an SWR stack (SOB + Goliath Jr.). I wouldn't describe it as warm. I would describe my Genz Benz 410XB as warmer without the annoying SWR tweeter. Speaker wise I like the BagEnd S15BD. Not the cube but the deep 15". Tone wise you may need more of a tube amp. What for bass are you playing? I recently purchased a Lakland 55-02. Having long been an EMG man I can say that the Barts in the Lakland sound warmer to me. Really though *warm* may not mean the same thing to you that it does to me or everybody else.

Finding your sound...isn't it great!

Fuzzbass: How about a thread on the Aphex 204. I'd be very interested in hearing what it adds to the mix.
  15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    To fatten up your tone? feed your bass twinkies till it keels over, then do it again when it vomits. Then, do the same to your amp, this will "fatten" up your tone. Works for me!

Also, try using "Whole milk" instead of "Skim milk" to wash that stuff down.
  16. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Hey, quick fix, can't buy the preamps or another cab in time for a gig and still want to fatten your tone?? If you have two pickups, blend towards the neck pickup more and remember, most of the sound comes from your fingers.. play closer to the neck with a lighter touch and turn up your volume.. if it suits your playing style. When I rest my thumb on my fretless bass on the end of the fingerboard instead of the pickup, damn thing sounds like a big fat tube powered amp. Like I said, quick fix.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am using the SWR IOD, and I can get a very warm "fat" tone. Almost SVT like. I've read that John Paul Jones uses the IOD with his SM900 to achieve the warmth he was looking for.

Personally, I don't play much rock. I am not looking for that SVT growl. I play Funk and Jazz, and I can get that hi-fi sound with this pre-amp as well as a thick tone if I need it. I have never been disapointed with SWR gear.
  18. What sort of settings work for you with your IOD? That is a terrific unit. I have one too.
  19. I think that ihixulu is on the right track... you may wanna also try
    -turning the aural enhancer way down (7:00)
    -bump the bass up just a little (like 1:00)
    -bump the treble/transp down just a little (11:00)
    -bump one of the eq bands at 100-150hz by +2dB

I use an SM-400 and about these settings... much bottom without sacraficing the punch and clarity.