Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to feed both STEREO pwr amp channels?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jlsbass, Oct 21, 2003.

1. jlsbass

jlsbass

Aug 8, 2003
    ottawa,ontario
    Hi all,

I currently have a sansamp bddi , and am going to buy a power amp and a couple small cabs ...

My question is how to you folks connect up to both the power amp channels (of a stereo amp like the stewart 1.2)?
    Do you use a splitter cable ?

OR maybe a different preamp is the solution ... ie Does the sansamp "RBI" allow dual output for this scenario?

Thanks in advance folks,
    jls.

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    It may be overkill, but I use a Behringer V-amp Pro, which has stereo line-outs.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You may have problems driving a power amp to full volume with a BDDI - check the sensitivity specs before you leap.

Alex

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You won't need any extra gadgets.

Most power amps will run in Stereo mode, Bridge mode, or Parallel Mode. They've usually got a switch on the back that lets you choose.

Stereo means each channel runs completely independant of each other.

Bridge means you combine both channels into one super mega powerful channel.

Parallel means that whatever you send to channel 1 will also go to channel 2. So it's basically a mirror image.

Bridge and Parallel will both do what you're asking for.

5. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Some amps will have a thru-output on each channel. So you could run your 1/4 inch jack from the Sansamp into the Stewart and then run the thruout on the Amp back into the input of the other channel, so you'll be running both channels with the same signal and feeding two sets of speakers. Once again, this will work if there is a pass-thru or daisy chain feature on your amp.

Another route is to use a chorus box. This will split your signal, but it has it's draw backs such as altering the tone of your instrument.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    On my older qsc you have to bridge the inputs with wire...but im sure yours won't be like that...

steve

7. jlsbass

jlsbass

Aug 8, 2003
    ottawa,ontario
    Yes , thats sounds right ... except that I am pretty sure the Stewart 1.2 doesn't have a "parallel" mode ... only stereo and bridge mono ... unless those who have one know otherwise.

So it seems I will have to split the signal coming in .

Cheers,
    John.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ok the Sansamp has the ability to do this but at a price. It effectively has 3 outputs:-

1/ Jack output which has "effected".
    2/ XLR output which is also "effected".
    3/ Parallel Jack output whi is NOT "Effected".

So you could use the 2 jack outputs but only one of them will deliver the distortion effect.

Or you can use the Normal jack with the XLR, but that removes the ability to use it as a DI to the PA.

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Go to any music store and by a mono Y-cable. It is a standard item and will split the signal for you.