1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to feed both STEREO pwr amp channels?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jlsbass, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. jlsbass


    Aug 8, 2003
    Hi all,

    I currently have a sansamp bddi , and am going to buy a power amp and a couple small cabs ...

    My question is how to you folks connect up to both the power amp channels (of a stereo amp like the stewart 1.2)?
    Do you use a splitter cable ?

    OR maybe a different preamp is the solution ... ie Does the sansamp "RBI" allow dual output for this scenario?

    Thanks in advance folks,
  2. lbanks


    Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    It may be overkill, but I use a Behringer V-amp Pro, which has stereo line-outs.
  3. alexclaber

    alexclaber Commercial User

    Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You may have problems driving a power amp to full volume with a BDDI - check the sensitivity specs before you leap.

  4. Petebass


    Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You won't need any extra gadgets.

    Most power amps will run in Stereo mode, Bridge mode, or Parallel Mode. They've usually got a switch on the back that lets you choose.

    Stereo means each channel runs completely independant of each other.

    Bridge means you combine both channels into one super mega powerful channel.

    Parallel means that whatever you send to channel 1 will also go to channel 2. So it's basically a mirror image.

    Bridge and Parallel will both do what you're asking for.


    Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Some amps will have a thru-output on each channel. So you could run your 1/4 inch jack from the Sansamp into the Stewart and then run the thruout on the Amp back into the input of the other channel, so you'll be running both channels with the same signal and feeding two sets of speakers. Once again, this will work if there is a pass-thru or daisy chain feature on your amp.

    Another route is to use a chorus box. This will split your signal, but it has it's draw backs such as altering the tone of your instrument.
  6. steve-o

    steve-o Guest

    Apr 17, 2002
    On my older qsc you have to bridge the inputs with wire...but im sure yours won't be like that...

  7. jlsbass


    Aug 8, 2003
    Yes , thats sounds right ... except that I am pretty sure the Stewart 1.2 doesn't have a "parallel" mode ... only stereo and bridge mono ... unless those who have one know otherwise.

    So it seems I will have to split the signal coming in .

  8. Petebass


    Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ok the Sansamp has the ability to do this but at a price. It effectively has 3 outputs:-

    1/ Jack output which has "effected".
    2/ XLR output which is also "effected".
    3/ Parallel Jack output whi is NOT "Effected".

    So you could use the 2 jack outputs but only one of them will deliver the distortion effect.

    Or you can use the Normal jack with the XLR, but that removes the ability to use it as a DI to the PA.
  9. xyllion

    xyllion Commercial User

    Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Go to any music store and by a mono Y-cable. It is a standard item and will split the signal for you.
  10. Primary

    Primary TB Assistant

    Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

    Feb 27, 2021

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.