Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to figure out the time signature for a song?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MadPink, Oct 9, 2002.

1. How do you do it? what do you focus on when you're trying to count? im talking about odd times, not 4/4.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Try latching onto riffs - and seeing how many beats between each time the riff starts. It may be the drum part, the bass, or whatever, but very often there's *something* that repeats that you can latch onto.

3. what I usually do is tap to the beat until I think I have the rythymic pattern, then count. Usually things like cymbal crashes, new figures, vocals will mark a new measure or section, listen for such cues.

4. how do I know how fast I should be counting, or whatever the term is

5. no I don't study with anyone, I would really like to get a grasp of the fundamentals so then I could at least understand what time im playing in. I dont really know where to begin to practice theory.

6. Its cleared up a few things, but you know how things go, once you get one answer it reveals ten more questions.

I've been really thinking about getting a metronome, but people keep on telling me its not really imporant.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Yup, and I'll get you, too, don't you worry about that. But when I do, you can bet your hairy posterior that it'll be better than this.

Waaaaaaaaay better. Just you wait....

PINKASAHATTER,

Listen to what FOGHORN has to say about metronomes. He might not be quite as old as Yoda, and his ears are not QUITE as large, but his words in this case are every bit as wise.

Unlike what he had to say in the Blanket Scales thread.... :)

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Man, all of a sudden it got really drafty in here... this big-*** breeze just blew right over my head.

ZOOMSCHWARTZFIGLIANO???:confused:

9. P'Tang Yang Kipper Bang... Uh!

10. I went out today and bought my metronome and some new strings. Now that I have it, could you suggested some lessons I should try doing? maybe try doing scales? show me the force yoda.

11. Okay, so get a teacher, but in the meantime practice scales, check. Is there anything else I need to work on to be better at odd timing?