1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to find a teacher

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mr wiggl3s, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Mr wiggl3s

Mr wiggl3s Banned

Feb 27, 2009
    Bismarck
    Well, i guess lessons aren't that expensive, i want to look for a teacher for a few lessons.

I live in MN. Most of the stuff I'm finding is for classical/Jazz only (I'm looking to also play metal)

I dont really know if i should just settle on a jazz teacher and apply what i learn, or find someone that knows all different styles. Assuming i can find one.

Suggestions?

2. Mr wiggl3s

Mr wiggl3s Banned

Feb 27, 2009
    Bismarck
    Bump? Just search craigslist? anything? lol

3. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    Don't discount the jazz and classical stuff. It might not seem immediately applicable to whatever style you'd rather be playing, but both focus on fundamentals of technique and harmony that can be applied to a wide range of music. You should hold out for a teacher who can teach directly to the style you want but jazz and classical teachers are probably more prepared to to give you a foundation that works for a variety of styles.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Check out the link in my sig. for some info that may apply to your situation.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

We got the new phone book at my house and I was gonna pitch it in the recycle-bin but I dug out a a number for a music store I liked and I flipped a page and found:

Bass Teacher Dan Pli***ow, along with his number. So I called the guy. He's one of the best music teachers I have ever had.

Serendipity, or something like that.

6. Mr wiggl3s

Mr wiggl3s Banned

Feb 27, 2009
    Bismarck
    Aight. This may sound like a stupid question, because it is, but what should a decent bass teacher be doing for me?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wouldn't take lessons from a teacher who didn't teach jazz. Or classical...I've learned a hell of a lot from trying to play Bach cello suites. A lot of metal guys take jazz concepts and apply them to metal. Plus there's nothing like a good workout based in jazz to build up speed, which is also important in metal.

What should a decent bass teacher be doing for you? Teaching you the fundamentals of reading and writing music, theory and incorporating it into your playing, learning how to write your own basslines, straightening out any poor techniques you may have, generally making you improve, etc.

What should a decent bass teacher NOT be doing for you? Using only tab, teaching you how to play your favorite metal songs, being loosey goosey with technique, and letting you dictate what they should be teaching you.

8. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    I found mine through TB. :bassist:

I agree with Jimmy that I wouldn't take lessons that didn't teach jazz either. I'm not looking to be a great jazz bassist, but everything I'm learning by starting to learn jazz I'll be able to use elsewhere. If you learn to play jazz, you can play just about anything.

9. Mr wiggl3s

Mr wiggl3s Banned

Feb 27, 2009
    Bismarck
    I found a guy and went to a lesson. Dude's teaching to pay bills (hasn't taught bass that mucc), but that's ok, he seems pretty inclined. Though, nothing on technique, and its proving to be a bitch.

Everything underlined is what is being done lol. Except for the last one, that's like 1/2 and 1/2.

10. Mr wiggl3s

Mr wiggl3s Banned

Feb 27, 2009
    Bismarck
    Lol, yall think this teacher is worth sticking with?

11. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    Hard to say after only a lesson or so, but it certainly seems like you're already questioning what you're getting out of the lessons. Bottom line is that it's your money and if you don't feel like you're getting out of the lessons what you need and want, then it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks & you should move on to another teacher.