Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to Find a Teacher

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by grackle, Oct 2, 2002.

1. grackle

grackle

Sep 27, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    I've seen many messages in the DB forum about why it's a good idea to get a teacher.

Does anyone have advice on how to find a good teacher?

Not sure if this falls in the realm of an already answered FAQ, but seems like it would make a useful newbie link.

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Birdman:

I believe the International Society of Bassists website has a teachers section. I could be wrong on that, but I do know that they maintain a members list with e-mail addresses.

Many of us have contacted the local symphony or reputable bass luthier in the area to find teachers.

Additionally, most of the guys here would recommend that your lessons focus on playing with a bow. In other words, even if you think you want to be a jazz player, you will benefit greatly from being "classically" trained.

3. There are universities all over your area. Call the music departments, or go on the school web sites, and get the names of the faculty. Call 'em up and ask.

4. grackle

grackle

Sep 27, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    Thanks for these good ideas. I guess I didn't immediately think about checking through colleges and universities because I tried this once before (for another instrument) and ended up talking with a community college music professor who had a very negative attitude. He essentially told me that it was too late for me to start lessons, because I was too old! I'm ready to be more persistent now, but still have a few questions, namely --

- what characteristics make for a good teacher?

- what questions should I ask when interviewing a potential teacher?

- how should I approach my first lesson with a new teacher?

Any advice on these or related issues would be very helpful.

5. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Don't let that bug you I am almost 45 and I am planning to start playing DB this summer. Guys like that should find other professions besides teaching.