How to find band members?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by atomic_turtle, Sep 1, 2003.

1. atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    Need suggestions for where to look for people to either jam or start a band with. Ive been bumbling around online to no avail. What are some good places to start.
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Harmony Central... You can put in your zip code to display musician wanted ads within a given radius...

3. Play bass really loud on a street corner.
  4. atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    Thanks for the link to harmony central (didnt think of that one)! However, no one is looking to start a band or is in need of bassist in Maine on that website. The internet has been hit or miss, with the emphasis on the miss. I guess i'll have to bust out the 100' extension cord and make a cardboard sign that reads will play for band and start jamming.

Seriously though what are other alternatives to the internet. I tried loking in the local daddys music store to see if there were any musicians wanted flyers pinned up but found none. Should I just ask one of the guys that works there if he knwos anyone that would like to jam or something. How about it you experienced bass players out there how did you find the people you jam with?
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I had success with using the Internet - but it took three or four months between starting and actually meeting with the two bands that I ended up joining (one of which fizzled out a few months later). One of those was an ad that appealed to me - the other was someone (who had already heard of me through another person who'd seen me in a previous band) who saw a message I'd posted advertising my availability.

Beyond the Internet, check out your local music stores (which you've begun) and talk to the people there. If you do get in a band, you'll probably become a more regular customer of the ones that treat you well at this stage, and they will be hubs of the local musical community. You're going to have to talk to people at some stage of this 'journey', so you might as well start now.

Also, look for other 'hubs' where musicians gather. Rehearsal studios often have adverts for musicians wanted (perhaps with more chance of opportunities with established bands) and you could also check out the venues that put on the type of music you want to play.

Back to my first point though - don't be disappointed if you don't get a catch the first day. It could take a while to find the right set of people... just keep fishing until you do ;)

6. jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    This is a cool website we use in NC. Shoot Webmaster Mark an e-mail. He is likely to put an ad in your local weekly nightlife paper if he thinks it will draw attention...he's covering 6-7 states now....
  7. Are you posting ads? You might as well post up a few ads on the same sites/stores you are checkin out. Make sure you keep them current until you get something you like.
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Word of mouth works better than ads. Where do bands play in your area, where do those players hang out? You need to socialize and schmooze.
  9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    post a wanted here...i mean..damn that won't work will it

start a band with all spinal tap in big bottom

lol man i love them

10. Finding A Band

Try posting on It is a very helpful resource and is good for almost anywhere in the US.

Good luck
  11. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    What's the url for ?
    I tried that address but it does not work.
  12. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Some of the best ways to look are at local on-line sites (i.e. is very popular in the Chicagoland area) or to advertise in local free papers that place a heavy influence on the arts, local leisure activities, etc. While ads are a good way to start, I've found that the best way is to network and to use word-of-mouth...just like you would if you were looking for a job. If you know people on the local scene...great! If you don't, I would recommend getting out and going to gigs, meeting musicians, getting to know the local guys on a personal level, and letting them know that you're available and looking. Make sure that people know how to get in touch with you, too. Also, don't for get to be patient, but if you have to take a gig that isn't 100%, do it just so you can have some experience and get out into the scene where you can meet other musicians and get more tips on band's in need of a bass player. Good Luck!
  13. atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    Thanks guys for all of your advice. I have posted at some sites and been crusing the bars where people play. It seems like it will be a waiting game for now.
    Thanks again