1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how to find info about my czech double bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mitb, Feb 25, 2008.

1. mitb

mitb

Feb 25, 2008
    i bought an old czech double bass around 3 months ago. and all i know about it that its old, has been repaired quite a few times. sounds quite nice ;]
    it has a sticker inside on which is written czechoslovakia
    maybe someone knows some resource online about such basses?

or maybe i should include a few pictures in another post?
    could anyone tell from pictures?
    i can try to take a picture of the inside of the double bass....
    cheers!

2. mitb

mitb

Feb 25, 2008
    im sorry that i didnt include pictures of my double bass before, here are some pictures, maybe someone can tell me something. im a total newbie in double basses, i dont even know from what wood it could be. any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      59.5 KB
      Views:
      2.jpg
      File size:
      70.3 KB
      Views:
  3. mitb

mitb

Feb 25, 2008
    here are some more pictures

Attached Files:

3.jpg
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
      4.jpg
      File size:
      55.4 KB
      Views:
  4. mitb

mitb

Feb 25, 2008
    and one last
    any help would be appreciated...
    cheers

Attached Files:

5.jpg
      File size:
      65.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Looking at those pics - I hope you and any friends/family are very accurate darts players - or else I would consider moving the bass or the board!! :p

attachment.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    It is a factory/shop Bass made after 1918-1919 WWI. That's when this country got it's name. Also, it was made for export (to the USA maybe) and that's why the label is in English.

The pictures are not good enough to see the wood. Top, Back, Sides, Scroll.. all angles and details.. Then we can tell more.

7. mitb

mitb

Feb 25, 2008
    thanks alot for some info, its already nice to know that!
    well i decided to upload all pictures to a server
    they are in higher resolution than here...
    the thing is that i bought it in lithuania and now i am in lithuania. so strange that it was made for export to the usa, long way to go...
    anyway here is the link to the pictures

http://anarres.hardcore.lt/monad/double.bass.pics/

and about the darts, well i stopped throwing them after i put the double bass there, i dont have another space for it in this appartment, maybe if i would have a stand i could put it in the room i am in now, but basicaly i dont want to put it near central heating...

cheers

8. mitb

mitb

Feb 25, 2008
    oh yea and it would be nice if someone could approximate its worth, i wonder if i got ripped off or not

cheers

9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Through the f holes, it looks like there is a layer of material (that the label is on) that is not to the depth of the back. Is this right or just an illusion?

This Picture

10. mitb

mitb

Feb 25, 2008
    what material? it seems that there is some old glue or traces of finish material inside.. i dont really understand what you mean, more pictures are being uploaded...
    cheers

11. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Looks like a fully carved Bass with Spruce top, maple ribs and back, all solid.

In need of professional repair. The Finish was re-done and done badly. What is the size and measurements of this bass? I think in its current condition from $1500-$3000 is the value as-is if it's a 3/4 size and less if smaller. Although it is a carved bass, it looks to be made in a factory.

It does not look that old to me now. Maybe the head is from a different bass or just not re-finished like the rest of the Bass. I think 20-50 years old unless the condition is fantastic and it's from before WWII.

12. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    It looks like the inside of the back plate is too close to the top in that picture, must just be an illusion. My mistake.

13. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
  14. mitb

mitb

Feb 25, 2008
    well i beleive its 3/4 although i am not sure about exact measurements
    i measure it now and the length of it is 183cm (from bottom to the top of the scroll)
    width of upper bout 50cm
    lower bout 64cm

thickness of the deck is 1cm

"how thick are tops around the f holes normally?"

i dont understand that question

what kind of repair it would need? i took it to a violin maker to glue a few cracks. he mentioned something about the finish, he said that it would cost alot to re-finish it.
    i am a total newbie, so how would it affect the sound and the double bass in general?

i got it for around 1000$
    when the violin maker took a look at the bass and when i told him the price he said that its quite fair.

hmm... so age is mysterious thing yea?
    but really thanks alot for the help! its great to learn all those new things.

cheers

15. mitb

mitb

Feb 25, 2008
    also there are signs of many repairs, so i dont know if it was badly abused or maybe its just really old. well at least now i know that its probably older than me ;D

16. mitb

mitb

Feb 25, 2008
    btw, i put new string on my old czech bass, i have chosen thomastik prazision orchestral
    and now it really sounds like a diffrent instrument, twice louder twice fatter and in general, sounds more like a bass now ;]

but its harder to play because the strings are fatter...

now im trying to get a french bow... abit hard to find for some reason..

17. i have got the exact same bass but my fingeroard is rosewood i have taken mine to a french polisher and it came back like brand new got exact same badge inside it i was told it was made near the end of world war one and in mint condition worth 1500 uk pounds maybe more my email is rmayson@blueyonder.co.uk i live in uk look at my band if you get a minute Black Cat Trio

18. read my blog i have the same bass its made end of world war one

19. codrutlazarescu

codrutlazarescu

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi! About your czech double bass...I also have one with the same label inside and maybe as old as yours. It needs some repairing because the edges are blunt. I will upload some photos. I don't think it's carved like yours but I am curious too to know who produces them.

20. Dan Horboychuk

Dan Horboychuk

May 13, 2003
    Poughkeepsie NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Aguilar Amps, DR Strings, Bartolini Electronics, Creation Audio Labs
    I have the same label in mine, no info to share though I would like to find out more also.