1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to find jam buddies in COVID?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Old_Noob, Dec 3, 2020.

1. I am nowhere close to being able to join a band, but would like to jam with folks to work on timing and have fun. Whats a middle-aged suburban dad noob to do in these COVID times? Playing covers in my office alone is getting boring.

Are folks still doing jam sessions?

lowendrachel likes this.
  2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I think the answer depends quite a bit on location and current state of affairs-ahem. We're doing quite a bit of playing out down here in the Hill Country of South Texas, jams and gigs, but recent conversations with friends/old bandmates in SoCal indicate just the opposite. YMMV-your mileage may vary!

Quinn Roberts likes this.
  3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    sounds like some regions are determined to make sure we can't get past this pandemic...
    as far as jamming regularly to get in practice is a tough order to fill. good luck!

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Wait.

5. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    It was hard enough in better times. Perhaps 2022 will be better.

HardNHeavy likes this.
  6. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Agreed.
    Spend the time until things improve on building up your skills, maybe experiment a bit with some pedals (a looper might be fun) or backing tracks to tighten up your timing and get your confidence up.

It looks like there's vaccines rolling out, and hopefully within the next six months, life will be getting back to whatever passes for normal.

I get that it's tough to wait, especially when you're so enthusiastic, but I'd sure take another six months isolation just to be on the safe side.

That said, I've no idea what your situation is in Wisconsin (heck, I'm not even sure where it is!)
    If things are easing off there, and the local musician folks are taking things seriously, perhaps you can get out sooner.
    Are there local music stores or radio stations or music colleges or facebook groups in the area you might find like-minded people?

coreyfyfe, Highroler79 and JRA like this.
  7. Thats ok, I can never remember where Ireland is.....one of those small islands off the coast of Scotland, yeah?

Polish Thunder, Andre678 and Oddly like this.
  8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I don't think there's a single state in the US where Covid is truly easing off right now. Maybe below peak in some areas, but definitely worse than a couple months ago. I'd love to be able to practice with my bandmates, but there's just no way right now.

9. it certainly is not letting up here....I guess I was wondering if there is some sort of online collaborative tool people use....although I guess with latency, that wouldn’t really work. sorry, dumb post

10. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    www.JamKazam.com

lordradish and bassb66 like this.
  11. BassChap

BassChap

May 17, 2013
    Holland
    Www.wikiloops.com

12. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Absolutely not dumb at all.
    We're all feeling a bit lost these days without a 'proper' outlet.
    There's several threads on here about online collaboration, and Jamkazam, as mentioned above, seems to be a viable way forward.
    Not perfect yet, but the developers seem determined to make it work.
    Check that out.

juancaminos, Rezdog and GregC like this.
  13. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Get a looper. A looping pedal. Get 2. or one that's multitrack, I prefer using 2 simple ones. You'll learn allot about bass line timing and editing.
    I bought my first 4tr recorder when my first band folded so that my personal progres didn't have to stop. For years now the same has been true of loops which can later, maybe much later, be used as content. Back in April I made a loop I named "Coved", it's pretty sick, man. I mean alarming slightly creepy. That's what I go for anyway.

Highroler79, Oddly and Benj-jammin like this.
  14. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    No in person jammin' here. I have used the time mainly to work on my singing while playing, and learning the rudiments of recording to Garage Band....both things I had been putting off....and both proving very satisfying.

Mr Cheese, Rezdog and GregC like this.
  15. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I've tried a few online jamming platforms, and unfortunately, with a 20ms ping time to my ISP it's a no-go. I haven't had a rehearsal since March... vaccinces are coming, late spring/summer 2021 we can all hopefully get back to it.

MisterFabulous likes this.
  16. Wambemando

Wambemando

Apr 26, 2020
    It's all what you make of it.

five7 likes this.
  17. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    its a good time to update your skill set with practice, I can't imagine doing gigs, and that I'm in an orange zone and nothing is open. :woot:

18. I think it can be done safely as long as everyone`s on-board with some basic house rules.
    I`m currently in a situation where we`re in a 20'x30' bldg with everyone beyond 6' apart, and we all wear our face coverings. No, the vocals aren`t crystal clear but at least there is a vocal reference. No shared equipment (mics, especially) and there`s no touching of others equipment. Might seem somewhat extreme, and I know not everybody has the luxury of a huge room, but yes, it can be done with a little ingenuity.

Still waiting in this part of Ohio for more venues to open up, but we should be pretty tight by the time things get a little more relaxed (fingers crossed).

zoonose likes this.
  19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Playing in a band is so much fun. I’m not in one, but I’ve subbed for other bass players. It’s a blast. The OP will get an opportunity eventually but now isn’t the time to meet new people.

You said you’re getting bored playing covers alone but there are a lot of covers you can have fun with. Stuff you’d never thought of playing along to. Music you don’t even necessarily enjoy can have cool bass lines.

Dr. Keebs, DirtDog, Mr Cheese and 2 others like this.
  20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The only playing I have done since March has been socialy distanced, outdoors. One gig and about a half dozen rehearsals. Now that it's winter here in New England, nothing until April or May at the earliest. Basically an entire year lost.

Forget about jamming unless you can get your wife and kids to take up instruments :laugh:

lordradish likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 20, 2021