How to find the most watts a speaker can take

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aabassist, Nov 4, 2002.

1. How do u know what the maximum power a speaker can take is.

15" if it matters
  2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Go get the biggest power amp you can afford, minimum 2000 watts. Slap on the low B and turn the amp up until the speaker blows up. That's how much power it can take.

Seriously, without knowing the model number I don't thing there is a way to know.
  3. ok i have another question.

I am currently using a pathetic 75 watt laney combo amp, what wattage do you suggest i get when i buy my next amp. It has to be enough to play in a band with a loud drummer and a guitarist with a 100 Watt marshall headunit and Cab.

I am on a limited budget but my current amp has to be played on full volume to be heard, and this causes the sound to distort. So it is essential that i get a new one.

Is it worth buying a 165 watt, or is that a useless exercise. Whats the minimum i should aim to buy. Bear in mind im only 16 without a big income (around £140 a month infact), due to the fact im still at school.
  4. Go get yourself a used 250 watts amp, and start saving up for an extension cab (check if the new amp can take one). If 75 watts isn't enough, 165 won't be either. It will be a disappointingly 3 dB louder, while as much 10 dB is perceived as a doubling of volume. This equals 10 times as much power (3 dB increase = doubling of power, 10 dB increase = 10 times as much power)
  5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Going up against a 100 watt Marshall and a loud drummer get as much wattage as you can afford. And yeah to double the perceived volume of your current 75 watt Laney you're going to need 750 watts
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You read the specs, on the web pages of the company that made it! ;)