Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by j3b3r, Feb 27, 2005.

1. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Hello everyone,

I'm up to my new project, and I want to finish my next bass into something like this.

So here's the question, What kind of finish to use and how to do it ??

Attached Files:

2. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    here's more, back of the bass

Attached Files:

3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Sealer and acrylic clearcoat.
  4. If it's bare wood, you might experiement with many many many layers of clear lacquer, enough to fill and seal the wood and build up a surface. I'm having some success with straight lacquer as a clear finish.
  5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I'm no Warwick expert; is that what they're using now? A lot of their basses used to be just tung oil and paste wax. I think you could achieve that look with oil and wax.

That particular bass appears to be maple. Maple is not very porous at all and as such you are more than likely to get away without filling/sealing the pores if you are looking to skip that step.
  6. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I'm using alder for the body and maple for the neck.

Is that really only clear lacquer ?? I think there's a gold shade on that finish. Or that can be acieved by layers of clear lacquer ??

I used tung oil once, I dont think tung oil can build up some thickness like that :confused:

Do I need sealer if I'm using alder ??
  7. MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    Me no expert but i believe you can tint a clear laquer to give a colouring effect
  8. O my yes, that's what's so great about it! The colortones from stewmac can be added to evaporative finishes like lacquer, they "tint" the clear to any colour ;) you like.
    A few drops of amber colortone in clear lacquer with about 40% thinner is a great finish. Clear lacquer darkens the wood even without tint, not a lot but some, like it's damp basically this give a slight ambering to wood.
  9. I would go with the oil and wax method. With some 0000 steelwool you could get the wood almost that shiney with no finish at all. Then apply a number of coats of oil and finish it off with wax.

The oils will give the wood an amber color. Do you have your wood yet?
  10. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Oil doesn't build up on the surface but I can't tell from the pictures that there is a topcoat on that wood. Some maple takes on that tint when finished with oil or even spray finish. It could be tinted but it will depend on what your wood looks like whether you need to worry about tinting your finish or not.
  11. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    count : what kind of oil ? tung oil ?? and the wax ?? can you tell me the brand ?

How about clear lequer ?

I used minwax tung oil, but it darken the wood :(

Using tint with clear lequer is a good idea:smug:
    But using oil with wax would be great too. I'll have to try both on scrap first.
  12. Behlen is supposed to be pretty good. Any oil is probably going to darken the wood a bit.

If your using alder it's not going to look like that Warwick, assuming it is maple.

Laquer will work well also but it too will probably darken the wood a bit.

Water based finishes tend to cause less coloring but I don't know of a good brand. I tried Minwax Polycrylic once but was disappointed with the results. It never hardened like I would have liked and it was a bit cloudy.
  13. I've been curious about KMT-9 anyone try that waterbased finish? It's pretty expensive so i've not taken the plunge.
  14. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Not to take over the thread, but how would one go about creating a finish like this MTD has:[​IMG]
    I'm not speaking of the colors, but the dull, almost matte clear finish over it. Sorry about posting this here. I just didn't feel it needed a thread of its own.
  15. Again, nitro lacquer can produce that effect when it's not polished out. But that's probably a poly with some pretty heavy solids in it. very pretty.