How to fit Jazz Bass Bridge Cover on High Mass Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dpatronilo, Jan 30, 2020.

1. dpatronilo

dpatronilo

Jan 24, 2020
    I recently put a Gotoh 201B bridge on my MIM Jazz Bass.

I would really like to fit a standard fender jazz bass bridge cover over it. When i've tried to place it, it has to sit far enough back that the bridge cover doesn't cover the bridge pickup at all. Does anyone know of a way to get it to fit on there?

Is it possible to put some sort of stilts under the cover to have it in the right place? (Just slightly higher above the bridge?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    That'll look like crap even if it works. Maybe you could get one specially made to fit the Gotoh but stock bridge covers won't fit.

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Why did you make the change? Depending on the answer, you might have to make a choice between the Gotoh bridge and the cover
    (without it looking like “crap”, as @JimmyM pointed out ;)).

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    nope, it just isn't going to happen

5. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    You can trim wood shims to fit underneath the cover. Gibson did this with a few covers, I believe, to make up for the height differential from pick guard to body. It won’t look right, though, imo.

walterw likes this.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    agreed; since the only point to the cover is for looks, if you have to do something goofy like cut holes in it or shim it way up off the body then it fails at the one thing it was supposed to do, look cool
    that may be the way out of your dilemma!

there's nothing so special about that bridge, if you want the cover you might as well put the original bent-plate back on. if you want to improve on the mexi bent-plate, look at a truly "vintage" bridge with the threaded saddles, that one will give you the advantage of fixing the string spacing to line up with the pickup magnets (something the 201 fails at anyway :meh:)

JimmyM likes this.
  7. dpatronilo

dpatronilo

Jan 24, 2020
    Thanks for all the feedback! The reason I made the change was because this bass had been through a lot when I was young. (thrown around during years in a punk band). I'm older now and wanted to finally clean it up and give it a life of proper appreciation. The original bridge was rusted to hell from a couple outdoor gigs in the rain. I'm not glued to the Gotoh, so definitely might switch it out for a truly "vintage" to make the cover work. Thanks again!

JimmyM, Slater and Lownote38 like this.
  8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    That's what I would do. Go with a Fender vintage style bridge. I have those on 4 Fender basses (threaded barrel type) and they're awesome in their simplicity!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You know, folks pay good money to have their bridges looking like yours!

BTW, I had the Gotoh 203 for a day, and discovered that it's a hi-mass bridge disguised as a bent plate. Weighs over 5 ounces. Pass.

Lownote38 likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021