Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to fix a ding in my neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fenderbluesdude, Apr 12, 2004.

1. i have a fender jazz bass fretless it has a series of dings by the 12th fret under the g string they are kind of like bumbs not real dramatic but annoying when i play over them. how do i fix it should i sand it of should i fill the grooves with wood putty or epoxy what should i do?

2. no guarantees here, as I don't know as to the extend of the "ding", assuming it isn't wear, and not alot of "trauma" to the wood, you could POSSIBLY swell the ding back out using a damp paper towel applied to the area, and quick applications with a soldering iron over the ding. This MIGHT help. I've taken a couple dings out of our dining room table out this way, using a damp towel and a clothes iron...I think in theory the process my turn out similar.

I urge you to be very careful doing this. As in re: to scorching wood or damaging glue bonds from overheating.

3. I've repaired dings in clear finishes that couldn't be steamed out by filling the depression with CA. After building up the depression to a lump, I scraped and wet sanded the repair down to flush and it works great. You can still see the ding but it's smooth to the touch.

4. i looked at it close to the light and it actually isnt a ding it is mor elike a series of bumbs they are not very high but they are wide, could i just sand this off?

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    What's the CA stuff, superglue? How big a ding is it good for?

You ever get your hands on some of that Adios nail polish remover?

Also, could you drop that "low views" version of "Affect of Routing on Tone" thread cause I've transfered the one "useful" piece of information from it to the original thread. Thanks

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    A laquer stick applied with a hot knife can make an almost to completely invisible repair on a below the surface ding. They come in a wide range of colors, too.

Furniture techs have been using them for years. For some reason they are seldom mentioned in instrument repair.

7. Harrell, I've seen these things but didn't really grasp their use. Now I do! Sorta like leading in the cowl on a '32 highboy. :D

To be more clear, my suggestion of CA glue (superglue) is probably only a good solution for poly finishes. A lacquered neck would definitely benefit from Pkr2's suggestion of the lacquer stick.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I've got fretless project I'm planning on doing and the Rosewood fingerboard has a couple small dings, which wouldn't matter with frets but may pose a problem on a fretless. The fret slots will have to be filled so I figured I'd just take care of it at the same time. I didn't know if whatever finish I put on the neck would fill in or not, I would think epoxy would though.