Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to fix a dried, bowed neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lildrgn, Feb 21, 2001.

1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I accidentally left a space heater on in my basement while I went on a 4 day vacation last week. My Music Man Sterling was next to the heater taking indirect dry heat the whole time. I got back and found the neck (beautiful bird's eye maple) was <i>way</i> bowed. It seems to have shrunk in diameter as the frets seem to be popping out from either side of the fretboard. Luckily I live near Mike Lull and Bass NW (where I made the purchase) and they gave me some advice.

Last night I had the MMS spend the night with a humidifier. Haven't gotten any lemon oil yet, nor have I fiddled with the truss rod (no experience with that, will leave to the pros). The good guys at BNW said that their lifetime adjustments would still apply to my gross oversight and that they could fix it for me.

In the meantime, does anyone else have any other suggestions or ideas? Luckily, the MMS isn't my main bass, but I love it nonetheless and really hate to see it in that condition.

thanks!

2. Oh, Man, I thought this was going to be a
    "how to" instructional post! Seriously, there's really not much you can do (or should attempt to do) without a luthier's neck jig, so that equal pressure can be applied to all parts of the neck. It will have to be put into a press,and those frets that are popping out of the fingerboard will have to be reset or re-done.Hopefully it is not too warped, or the fingerboard will have to be planed, as well. So get thee to Bass NW, Pronto!

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Sorry to hear about your troubles,hope it works out for that neck.Your story gave me cause to be thankful for where I currently reside (the North side of Houston.) The humidity here rarely goes below 80% and can stay in the 90% range for months.I've never seen a dried out instrument in the 10 years I've been here.So there's one redeeming quality...