1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to fix a "farting" Ampeg 410-HLF cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniabass, Aug 26, 2012.

1. insomniabass

insomniabass

Nov 29, 2009
    Today I had a success. I have had my Ampeg SVT Heritage Classic and Ampeg 410 HLF for about a year, when maybe 3 months ago the rig began making a buzzing/farting sound when I hit certain notes in the middle of the range (E and F, second and third fret on D string). After much angst and experimentation I went into the cabinet and discovered....... that the hardware for the high frequency horn screws into the plastic horn that is mounting into the cabinet, and in my case the hardware was not screwed in tight into the plastic horn and was rattling around making a farting sound with certain notes. Screwing it in tighter fixed the problem. It is this sort of s@#t that gives me insomnia! Hope my report of this adventure helps somebody.:hyper::bassist:

Insomniabass

2. Not really all that uncommon.......

Screws tend to become loose after a while. Always a good idea to do a little PM (Preventitive Maintenance) on your cab(s) every now and again. If nothing else but to make sure that everything is still where it is supposed to be. ;)

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, I push alot of low end, and tend to play in fairly loud bands - about every couple of months, I check the hardware in my gigging cabs for tightness - and usually have to tighten a screw or two... If I hear something out of the ordinary, that's the 1st thing I check...

- georgestrings