1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to fix a strap pin hole & Area

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chinjazz, Apr 4, 2015.

1. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Hey folks,

I got s used Squier body today that had the strap pin screws bent inside the bass. Kind of weird.

I removed the screw and pin to find an area that looks like it had a few holes.

How would you fix this?

EE315BAA-CB37-4CE8-917D-34FBF26A9988_zpsnky1hb1g.

I was thinking to start with the usual tooth picks but this may need a more complete fill and drill.

Are there any tricks to get the fiesta red paint to cover the area or should I just Relic the whole body?

I actually don't have any paint either (lol).

Thanks for any ideas!

2. s2bs2

s2bs2

Apr 1, 2009
    Sonoma, CA.
    serious mojo! don't refinish or relic
    a box of toothpicks should do the trick ;-)

chinjazz likes this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    For that big a mess, I think I would go with hardwood dowel plugs over toothpicks. No idea on the finishing...

joselorellano, Eric66, Kmay and 2 others like this.
  4. Fatboy 2015

Fatboy 2015

Mar 13, 2015
    well if it were mine Id use a hardwood dowel segment,choose a diameter drill a hole to match, stick a tooth pick in the hole bottomed out, make a pencil mark on the tooth pick, cut the dowel ever so slightly shorter, then squirt wood glue into the hole and coat the dowel segment, tap it into place and allow it to dry a couple days, for touch up maybe try going to walmart in the nail polish section and find a match.

5. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Thanks guys. I'll try wood dowels out. It is quite knarled up.

I've never had a fiesta red bass, kind of a cool color, but I'm sure it's hard to find (time to google it!).

Or I could keep it mojo, but I don't like having that mush spot.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Appears to be a bunch of wood filler oozing out. Any way you can clean up the zone so we can get a better look? Since multiple screw holes are evident, I'd recommend plugging those adjacent to the target. Here's a few timely tips:

Help: Plugging and Moving a Small Screw Hole | TalkBass.com

Riis

7. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL

Thanks Riis,

I should be able to clear it up and take a close up pic tonight. Thanks for the link/info!

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hope it helps. By the time you get things patched and new strap button installed (w/ felt pad underneath), all that will be visible is the paint blem.

Riis

chinjazz likes this.
  9. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I'm with the hardwood dowel repair. Looks like a tight fitting, 3/8" diameter dowel will be needed. Drill deep enough (about 5/8"?) to remove offended area. Use a forcner bit to get a flat bottomed hole. Test fit dowel plug for length before gluing so you can get the length correct. After gluing plug in place, let dry over night before installing strap button. Use a screw longer than the dowel plug, so the new screw bite into the actual body of the bass. Use the correct diameter pilot drill for the strap button screw.

10. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Thanks John!

11. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    I'd drill it and dowel it, wouldn't do anything about the finish nice relicing

12. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Just had a chance to check the old holes a bit, and there are about 3 holes, and It seems like I might need a little bigger dowel (7/16"), if they make them.
    I've got a bunch of pins, and will probably put on a dunlop strap lock pin which is a hair bigger than 7/16".. I'm sort of doubting I'll find a dowel of that diameter.

Anyone have any thoughts on should I go bigger or smaller? Ahh the hiding game (there's always the felt that adds to it thankfully).

13. DredFetus

DredFetus

Nov 19, 2010
    You should get the dowel before you start tingering with it. any home building store will have one that size or close enough. Id recommend drilling the hole to the size of the dowel u buy. Clean up the hole and make it easier to fit in.

14. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    MJC Ironworks
    I have the same issue with my Lakland... I was thinking about using Loctight? dumb idea?

15. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    Loctight I'm pretty sure is for metal / metal fasteners. I would use wood glue and toothpick(s) fix.

16. tmdazed

tmdazed

Sep 29, 2012
    $(KGrHqNHJDEFBN74B5gkBQ(ob1lJJg~~60_35.

Countersunk straplocks , no gluing, no dowling , have them on a couple players of mine and works great

Dash Lashes, chinjazz and s2bs2 like this.
  17. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    You should be able to find 7/16" dia, but are more likely to find 1/2" in oak. (Home depot)

18. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I have used Devcon 5-minute epoxy and various wood dowels for plugging holes.

Fatboy2015 nailed (no pun intended) the touch-up... there's gotta be something close to Fiesta Red in the nail polish aisle.

19. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    There's a "Loctite" for loose screws in wood called "loose screw" or something like that. It works for moderately sloppy screws, but as others have said, tooth picks glued in with Elmer Fudd glue will do the trick.

20. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Yeah, checked my f bits and I'll go with 1/2" because that's what I've got :)

john m likes this.