Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to fix dent in back of maple neck (MM SR5)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by remo, Jul 24, 2005.

1. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    :bawl: it's not brand new anymore :bawl:

ok my brand new maple neck SR5 bit the dust and now there's a dent in the wood on the back of the neck behind the 3rd fret position.. its in a really bad spot I can feel it when ever I play. The dent is about 4mm long and maybe a mm or so deep... It's deep enough to be felt while playing...

Has this happened to anyone and how did they repair it??

p l e a s e h e l p :rollno:

*EDIT*

ok people... I dug deep on the net and found (actually on the EB forum) a post on how to fix dings on necks that don't have a coating (as in a laquer finish)..

heres the post:

I just did it on mine and it came up PERFECT!! :hyper: :hyper:

As the guy said, just keep checking the dent after each press (I pressed the soldering iron on for about 3 seconds each time) and don't over do it... just do it with care.

I 'touched' the dinged area with a tiny bit of 320 sandpaper afterwards and now its totally undetectable!!! Man, I'm SOOO relieved, and I don't even have to take it to a luthier now!

2. Good stuff man ! Glad to hear everything turned out OK.
    It's a great feeling to go from "Oh no ! My baby is ruined" to "Yes ! I fixed it, MYSELF !".

3. wooo this thread saved me cool,5 years old too