1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to fix down my extremely light Genz Benz Shuttle 6 to my cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperBassSam, May 3, 2010.

1. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

Feb 9, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    Hi all,

I've recently bought my first proper rig consisting of a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and a Markbass STD 104HR. The only trouble is, the Shuttle is so light that I am seriously worried about pulling it off the top of the cab if I forget to unplug my bass or something! So, is there any way of fixing it down without damaging the cab/head? I've thought about getting strips of velcro and just using the 'sharp' side and sticking it onto the carpeting of the cab, just I'm a little worried about it ripping out some fluff and my lovely Markbass cab developing a receding hairline.

Thanks a lot

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Put the cab on top of the amp? :)

thehangingmist likes this.
  3. I have my Shuttle 9.0 in a 4 space rack w/ a compressor and a 1u fan. You could get a 2u rack and the Shuttle rack kit.

4. boing

boing

Feb 15, 2004
    WNC, USA
    1) If the cab has side handles, thread/wrap the end of your cord ("lead", for you people ;)), around the handle before plugging into the amp.

2) Use a longer cord ("lead", for you people ;)).

:)

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Velcro

:)

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1

Easy to attach - easy to remove. Inexpensive - couldn't think of a better way other than buying a "rack kit" for her

7. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Mark Bass makes amp bags that serve as a carrying case and a means to attach the head to the cabinet. The head stays in the case when in use (the front and back flaps open and fold under the case, they have velcro on the under side that attaches to the cabinet. Maybe you can get your GB head to fit securly into one of these cases.

http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=4&vedi=58

8. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

Feb 9, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    Thanks to everyone for all the replies. And yes, boing it is definitely a lead for our people, I don't think I've ever called it a cord before haha. I don't realllly have the money to get a rack kit yet so this would sort of be a temporary measure til I can save up for the kit, velcro sounds good, but it won't damage my cab will it?

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Velcro. Or you could get a mounting bracket and just permanently mount the head to your cab - Like GB does for their combos. I have the GB 6.0-12T combo and it's great. I also velcro my Korg CA-30 tuner to the head so it's always there, plugged in and ready to go. I just plug in the power and my bass lead and I'm ready to play.

10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'd go with velcro. One of the things I love about the shuttle is the small footprint and light weight. Rackmounting it would defeat both of those things, IMO. If I was taking it on the road and had roadies tossing stuff around, then yes to rackmounts. Taking it out myself - velcro.

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Nah, I don't think it'll be anything severe - is the cab rat fur?

If it's tolex, velcro has 3M sticky tape on the other side, you can just attach, I'm sure it'd clean off of tolex if you wanted to sell it one day without damage...and if you already have rat fur, then you only need to attach velcro to the head! Done and done!

12. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Yep there's the problem with those light weight amps. Take out a cinder block and set it on top of the amp. If you still pull it off put two up there. Nice thing about cinder blocks is they stack.

Could you go wireless?

BOB

13. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

Feb 9, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    Yeah velcro is seeming like a good idea at the moment, SteveC I'd rather not be permanently attaching anything to my cab as although I got a great deal on the cab it was still a lot of money and I'd like to keep it in as good and re-saleable condition as possible.

14. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Get a wireless.

15. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

Feb 9, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    Hmm, wireless is definitely a thought! That would be something I'd look into for the future though, for now I think velcro is gonna do the job :) I've always thought that my bass (Ibanez SR500BM) would look great if you somehow designed a custom wireless reciever that was really tiny and fitted just into the recessed jack, and then you put a thin veneer of wood over to match the body. It would be a huge amount of effort though, and tbh probably not worth it :)

I guess this is what you get from staring at your bass too much.

16. That was my first thought. Think how unusual it would look! :)

Ratcheting strap should do it.

Paul

17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Do not operate any head that has side cooling air intake and exhaust inside a carying case or bag that fights close to the sides of the amp. The only amps that can be operated without being removed from these bag products are those with front to back airflow or those specifically designed to be used with the bag. The Shuttles must have a minimum of 1" clearance on left and right side of the amp for cooling flow. There are others that have similar requirements.