How to fix my noisy SS2?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saibuster, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Saibuster

Jan 26, 2002
    Hi everybody,

I've got this problem with my streamer stage 2... Its noisy!! i really like high freqs on my bass and i cant add to much on my streamer becouse it gets noisy. i dont want to change the pickups or anything becouse i REALLY love the tone i get from my original MEC pickups. Mayb its a preamp problem?

2. just a thought, if i ever get any trouble from my bass it's usually it way of telling me to change the battery, i'm assuming that it has a active innards.

Give it a try, if this isn't any use i'd either wait for the warwick guys here or give Warwick a shout.

3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the MEC preamp pretty much sucks.

it may be something like a volume pot gone bad (happened in my old thumb) but probably a new preamp is the only way to get real studio-quality quietness.

i'm probably going to put a new pre in my SS2 - either a bart or u-retro deluxe.
  4. Saibuster

Jan 26, 2002
    Thanks for the answers.

the battery is new so i think its not a battery case.

I think that warwick5s is right and it is a preamp problem.

I'll email warwick anyway and see what they say about this.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The MEC electronics have a characteristic tone which contributes to the Warwick tone, but IMHO they are junk.
  6. Yeah, MEC electronics have a history of being noisy and unreliable. The distributor is very good about it thought. Call them and they may replace your preamp. Actually, scrap that idea, do what Warwick5s said, get a Bart or U-retro preamp!