Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to fix nut slot cut too deep?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by edvon, Apr 19, 2005.

1. edvon

edvon

Apr 4, 2004
    Australia
    Hi,
    I have heard of a remedy to put sawdust mixed with glue (can't remember what kind) in the nut slot that is cut too deep, and then file it to the required depth. Any thoughts on that, has anybody tried that before?
    thanks.

2. bcleff62p

bcleff62p

Apr 12, 2005
    Sawdust from the nut.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would rather find some thin aluminum strips, or brass strips that would fit perfectly under there. Then correct the depths to compensate. This will allow for good transfer of vibration to the neck. Of course, if you have the files, it's real easy to make a new one.

4. edvon

edvon

Apr 4, 2004
    Australia
    That makes sense, what sort of glue would you use for that, or would you try and wedge them in so they don't move?

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Trevorous, did u mean raise the whole nut by putting a strip of some other material under it, or just put something in the bottom of that one slot?

BTW, what string, what material, and how much too deep are we talking here?

6. edvon

edvon

Apr 4, 2004
    Australia
    Hi paintandsk8,
    it's a brass nut, Jazz neck, wanna put TI or Rotosound Flatwounds on,
    The nut groove is 3mm deep on the E and 1mm deep on the G, so with the brass nut I've got I'm looking at compensating for around 1-1.5mm (pardon the metric bits, I'm in Australia). cheers, Ed

7. Mark Chandler

Mark Chandler

Aug 25, 2004
    Houston TX
    nut dust?

8. edvon

edvon

Apr 4, 2004
    Australia
    Hi, I used the wrong terminology here, I meant the groove the nut is sitting in, rather than the individual (string)slots in the nut. Sorry, should have been more clear. :rollno:

9. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Hmmm....... perhaps a taller nut blank would be the simplest solution. Note I said simplest, not best.

10. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Use a thin strip of metal. I've used a strip of low density polyurethane plastic in a pinch, but it's not ideal. The harder the material the better. Cyanoacrylate works well as glue. Put it in the freezer, if you wanna increase the working time.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, just put a strip of brass or something underneath the nut. That'll raise the whole thing, and give you the height you need.

12. edvon

edvon

Apr 4, 2004
    Australia
    thanks for all your input guys, I think I will try a bit of brass, since the nut is brass too. ed