how to fix these dings?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Taustin Powers, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Thinking about picking up this fretless Stingray. I'd get a very good price on it, cause apparently it has been dropped or something and has these nice dings in it:

The lacquer on those two spots is completely gone, just naked wood. It's a very dark area of the finish, almost completely black. (It's the discontinues "Burnt Apple" finish.

How would I go about fixing these? (My craft/skill level: low)
  2. Also, any insight as to why the picture doesn't show up? :confused: :confused:
  3. Go to the drug store and color match some nail polish, bring a girl with you or you will end up testing the colors on your own fingers. Once you find a good match, begin applying very small coats to the chips (sometimes a small drop of paint will cover the whole thing) Try to "fill the whole" with paint instead of painting over the edges of the whole. Continue process until the new paint is leve with the orignal paint. Buff and clear coat afterwards if you want a really pro looking repair.

Good luck.

BTW for some metal flake paint jobs auto repair paint may be a better bet.

Some Nail salons will also do this work for you if you ask very nicely.
  4. Thanks!

I really may just take the bass to a nail salon and ask for their help. :) :D
  5. mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    Here's the thing with the nail polish trick. The human brain has the worst memory for color. Unless you bring the bass to the drug store, you're not likely to get a good match. And is that metallic? You won't match that with nail polish. Try contacting the manufacturer and see if they have touch up paint available.

Then, even if you do, drop filling the dings will still leave a visible repair. You'll either have a hump caused by the surface tension of the polish, or you'll sand it and dull the surrounding surface. If you can live with that, then, ok. Personally, I'd leave it alone, and just enjoy a good bass at a good price.
  6. Mslater brings up a good point. You should bring the bass or at least a very high res picture of the paint job with you.

Another real cheating trick you can do is to simply color in the wood with a magic marker if you want to minimize the effort and still make the bass look a little beter.

Given that these are real paint chips I would want to put something on them to prevent the chips from growing.
  7. Version Luminol

Version Luminol

Dec 6, 2003
    thanks for the tips, they were helpful in repairing some chips on my stein, luckily for me it wasnt metallic in color but just a glossy jet black ;) Thanks again!