How to get a certain sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dragonshrimp, Aug 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonshrimp

Aug 9, 2002
    Alright! I iknow many people out there think korn's a bunch of hacks..but you must admit, fieldy's clicky bass sound rocks. I'm just wondering has anyone succeeded in dupilicating his exact tone? and if you had how did you do it? i've been trying forever and i can only get some freakin' muddy sounding sound that's not really clear nor clicky. Please help!!!!!!!!
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You have a tweeter on your cab? You need one...
  3. Never tried to duplicate his tone. I know he tunes down pretty low, and more or less slaps, even though its more like punching his bass.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ermmm... I think a few people disagree with this! ;) Is it even a "bass" sound? Discuss!
  5. Para_Ebola

Jul 25, 2002
    i find it mildly irratating, but i must admit it's a style i never heard before hearing Korn, and some people think it's cool because bass is supposed to be part of the percussion in a band. me no agree but..meh.
  6. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The clicking sounds ok in Korn, where the bass frequencies are already covered by scooped and detuned guitars. I think it would be extra-annoying in almost any other setting because there is NO sustain. Does Fieldy know what a whole note is? ;)

To get that tone I'd get new roundwounds, turn up the tweeter and turn down the bass. Then I would wonder why I wanted a tone like that. :D
  7. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    No mids..turn up the treble and the bass
  8. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    You also need a lot of wattage to push that sound. I think he runs 2000 watts in his rig.

With 7 string guitars tuned down, what is the purpose of a bass? That's why I stopped playing chugga chugga metalcore. All the guitarists care about is them being heavy. They stepped all over my sonic space! And I really hated having to bring extra cabinets to the gig just to be heard. As you all know, bass cabinets are heavy! Guitarists that bring full Marshall stacks to a 300 capacity club are stupid.

I give respect to Korn for coming up with something different back in the early 90's even if I'm not into it. :mad:
  9. Fieldy's Tone

Step1: Buy a five string bass
    Step2: Down tune it
    Step3: Bass up, mids down, trebble up
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    this very question has been posted here numerous times, please do a search and you will find all you like about him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.