Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get a good slap sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Feb 4, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey ive been playing bass for about 16 yearsBut i still havent figured out how to get my slap sound up over my regular sound!Like when iam playing a tune finger style its nice and but when i start to slap i lose the good sound it is just burried?

2. Cut those ugly mids out and boost the Bass and treble. A.K.A. "the smiley EQ curve"

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Further,CRANK both PU's up to full volume and bang away.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Maybe I shouldn't...

:D

5. ahh go ahead.

6. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I got a compressor pedal that had a volume, bass, treble,a nd compression knobs on it. It's the Bass Compactor. If you need a super squashed tone it gets kinda noisy though, but I only use light compression. So with this pedal you can dial up a tone for your slap style and turn it off for finger style. Compression is nice when you are slapping also, IMO. Oh yeah, and control the volume when it's on also.
    cameron

7. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Who's making this Bass COmpactor ? Sounds interesting ...

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Naaah...they'll sort it out.

I do have a question though. What kind of slap sound are you looking for?

Profile information would help immensely.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you are right-handed, point away with your left hand to get the other person to look that way. Then, when their head is turned strike with your right hand totally flat on the meatiest part of their cheek. :D (See Brad and gruff, someone is actually assinine enough to do it!)

All smart-assing aside, as Brad mentioned, if we knew your set-up it would help a lot. That profile info. won't be available till Paul's upgrade is complete.

10. ha ha :D yea i copied and pasted my profile just in case my profile doesn't come back. thats a good tip on the slapping tone, i will have to try that bassicly i have been walking around with a tape recorder filled with slap sounds, me and my freinds have a whole routine worked out. :D

11. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i always have the smiley eq. i usually have 6-8 treble, 0-2 mid, and 10 bass. mine is kind of a smirk. i'm glad i'm not dyslexic, i may sound like a screachy guitar player with the treble and mid tuned up.

12. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Thanks all! Well my rig includs a goliath II 4-10s and a old peavey 15 cab!I run through a hartke 2500 head!I play my only bass i love a warwick corvette pro.I also have a late 60s fender frettless p-bass.Its like i can finger style all day and its nice and loud and clear-but when i start to slap it just looses all its balls!?It still sounds great but its the volume problem!Its like when i finger or thumb its nice and loud but as soon as i go into a funk thing it just farts on me!Should i just use a volume pedal or is there some other cool device out there that i dont know of?I hate to use a pedal of some sorts because i funk like 60% of the time!I would kill that pedal in a few days!hehe.Hey victor is that really you?Man i have seen you guys play a few times caught ya in springfield missouri last year and then got ya in st.louis with dave!You and stefan are my 2 fav bass players!It was truly awsome to see you 2 together!Hey maybe if we could meet after or before a show sometime i could let you play my mid 60s fender frettless its great!I also would love it if ya could go to or web page and listen to or songs see what ya think!It is all from a very old cd before i funked or anything but we have 2 cds since then would love to send it to ya some time!Oh well all have a great day oh ya the bands web sight is http://comesurfthe.net/atkinson/sevenwhite/ hey all go see it and sign our guest book!

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's a Sans Amp pedal made by Tech 21 NYC.

14. This is all very cool but all the smiley eq settings in the world won't help if you have dead strings...

I can get a nice slap sound with the eq flat on my SR5/Bass 350 save for a bit of bass boost. Using your hands properly is miles more important than gear settings IMHO.

:)

15. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    To be more specific about the cutting the mids part,if you can cut 400hz with a narrow Q (less effect on freqs above and below 400 than a wide Q) it has the effect of seeming like the bass and treble are louder and clearer.A lttle compession helps as well.

16. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Sounds like your problem is in switching back & forth between fingerstyle tone and slap tone. Seems to me pretty tough to find one setting that will work for both.

If the Hartke head has a footswitchable graphic EQ section, you may have everything you need. You just set the round knobs for your fingerstyle, tone and then modify it for slap (as per advice given above, i.e. cut the mids) with the graphic. Then when it's time to slap, stomp in the graphic and you're gone. I use this trick for my fretless solo tone on my Carvin head.

If the Hartke's eq isn't switchable, you could put a stompbox-style 7-band graphic EQ in the effects loop (Boss and DOD make 'em for sure, I imagine there's others out there -- all in the $80 - $100 range). These things also have an output level, so you can balance the slap volume against the fingerstyle volume.

17. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Thanks all!I think eli might have helped me with the stomp box idea!thats what iam going to try!Hey eli i bet you would love to get your hands on my old 60s fender frettless pibass!its sweet!We was playing a show and had a small band from are area open for us,they were ok just kids and i said to the bass player of that band that i wish i had a frettless to take to the studio the next week!He said ya man come to my house i have one you can borrow!So i get there and he said that i could buy it from him for 100 dollers so i said lets see it!Afraid it was going to be some jc penny bass he starts to pull this old torn up fender case from under hes bed(he was shocked to see i had my check book out writing in it before he opened the case!It was very sweet it went through a fire once but only the finish was bad!I am such a lucky *******!hehehe

18. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Way cool. Nice to make a good deal, huh?

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I wasn't going to be a smart-ass but my answer may not be too popular;)

How do you go from slap to finger style and maintain tone and volume? You can do it with a pedal or a compressor or tweak your EQ, there's nothing wrong with that. Here's how I do it: I control the attack and volume manually, with my hands. It's not magic, it just takes practice.

On any given gig, I'll go from an old school thumpy tone to slap to fingerstyle and never touch the EQ on my amp or my basses. My amp is always set flat.

If your fingerstyle is louder than your slap, you need to make a decision...either lighten up on the fingerstyle or slap harder. If the opposite is true, do a vice versa.

I've found by lightening up on my touch I have a lot more control over the dynamic range of my instrument, no matter how I'm playing. It's easier than most people think.

20. :cool: Nice to know I'm not alone...