Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get a good slap tone on my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    What kind of settings would you suggest me to use when slapping on my GK cab and head?

.....Oh and one more question , what do you use the high mids and low mids for on an amo? Im pretty new to having a cab and head

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Mids (all types) are generally for cutting through.

For a slap tone, you usually want to boost the lows and highs, and cut down on the mids (both low and hi); how much depends on what tone you're after. The Contour knob on your head will give a scooped (boost highs and mids, cut mids) effect as well - try the EQ set flat but try using the Contour.

Generally, low mids are for the punch, hi mids are for the growl.

3. Assuming this is a 1001RB or 700RB, Try this
    Contour at 11 oclock
    Presence all the way up
    Treble at 10 oclock
    high mid at 8 oclock
    low mid at 12 oclock
    Bass at 1 or 2 oclock
    boost at 11 oclock
    tweeter at about 11 oclock
    woofer at 1 oclock

Use the volume control to set your volume.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Dan the man, my T-shirt is here, thanks buddy!
    Thats in interesting EQ setting you just gave, I'll have to try it. thanks again. GK Rocks. Incidentally the other night I tried plugging into my Demeter AGAIN to see if I like the tone better than running straight through my GK1001RB-II, wasen't as happening. The GK thing is working for me. Many different tone colors on this amp. It continues to grow on me.

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I've actually tended to go away from the scooped slap tone. For some situations, i'll scoop. For others i'l do this:

Bump bass up a bit
    Boost mids up a little more than bass
    Treble usually a little lower than bass, depending (Using my sterling in series can get pretty trebly at times, so i cut it down a bit).

This just gives me a really chest hitting punch that cuts through two loud guitars cranked and breaking up (Or using distortion pedals).

6. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    What I used to do before getting a decent on board preamp was cut 800 Hz. That's all. Great slap tone, still plenty of higher/lower mids for cutting through. Heard a live recording of us and my bass cut through heaps. Killer slap sound when I went for it too. So, cut 800Hz if possible, boost treble/bass to taste. It is by no means "scooped."

7. I personally find around 2K to be a nasty, dip it around there, plenty of bottom and plenty of top... Removal of this should take the brashness out of the sound...