1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get a good sound from a Hofner style solid electronic bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nexany, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Nexany

Nexany

Dec 1, 2012
    I have an individual style bass, It has god a hofner violin shape body, but it is full solid! It also has got 2 baby humbuckers and same electric controlls/switches as on the hofner beatle bass.
    I mean.
    -Rhythm on/off
    - Bass on/off
    -Treble on/off
    + 2 volume
    There are rounds right now on the bass.
    I mainly play beatles of course.
    My question is how to get the warmest and deepest sound of it?
    What switch settings do i need to use?
    Because i really dont understand these switches.

Thank you.

2. Switch to flats or nylon strings, both pickups engaged (bass and treble "off"), back p-up volume rolled off around halfway. The rhythm switch is simply a boost/cut so it shouldn't matter.

I think it'll be tough to get that sound without a hollow instrument.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I would switch to Labella Beatle flats first you really need to play with everything to get that right sound I play mostly Beatles also and switch things around according to the song without knowing what your bass sounds like I'm not sure if regular Hofner settings would transfer to your instrument ? and like Toadwarrior said it will not have that Hofner thump but it should be close enough.

4. Nexany

Nexany

Dec 1, 2012
    Do you mean that?
    Bass On
    Treble off
    And Bridge pickup 50%?

Because if i switch bass and treble also off, it switches off the Pickups.

5. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    I have my bass set with both pick-up on and the bridge volume set at 50/60% and the neck pick-up set at 100%. most of the time the boost is off.
    I also have roto tru-bass 88s fitted.

6. I guess so, It's kind of hard to know what the switches actually do on your bass on my Icon turning on the bass/treble switches solos the p-up in question.

Playing with a pick/thumb with palm muting might help as well, and while a solid bass might not be able to cop the hofner's tone, you might have an easier time getting the later beatles sounds like the Rick.

7. Nexany

Nexany

Dec 1, 2012

Does the boost is the rythm switch?

8. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    the Rhythm/solo switch is just a boost switch. it shorts out the Cap increasing the over all volume when on solo. really good for when you want that little bit more volume!

9. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I use Labella flats on my hofner and usually only the neck pickup.
    never seen or heard of a solid body beatle bass....photos?

10. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    maybe a Gibson EB1, that has a solid body and a Beatles "violin" bass look.

11. Nexany

Nexany

Dec 1, 2012
    so7gxy.jpg

In the middle :)

Actually it is a BIGSON BBV, I live in Hungary and Bigson is a Hungarian Brand which manufactures Guitars and Basses in China.

It has got a full SOLID Alder body with maple top and maple neck, rosewood fretboard and it's medium scale! :)

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021