1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HOW TO GET A PUNK/HARDCORE SOUND

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B!56, Mar 2, 2008.

1. B!56

B!56

Aug 23, 2007
    hey guys,
    im 15, i play in a hardcore/punk band:hyper:
    where not a garage band we play shows at least once a month with decent sized crowds etc...
    ive got a warwick profet 5.1 going through a peavy tvx 410
    i have no idea how to get a more heavier/punk sound out of it:confused:
    any suggestions?
    thanks heaps!:bassist:

2. B!56

B!56

Aug 23, 2007
    i should add that im using a musicman sub 4 string
    and i play WITH a pic

3. *Pick

Firstly, what do you define as punk/hardcore?

To me its bands like SOIA, Agnostic Front, Slapshot etc etc

Have the gain pretty high, cut the lows and treble a little bit, boost the mids.

Also, I found the SansAmp BDDI very helpful at getting a great HC sound.

Absolute best way to get the HC sound is using a sealed 810 and an SVT tho ;)

(HH Stingray->SVT->marshall VBC810, sometimes use the BDDI, sometimes dont.)

Oh, and play aggressivley, hit the strings pretty hard with the pick. And keeping relatively fresh SS roundwounds on your bass.

4. B!56

B!56

Aug 23, 2007
    yeah i just got slapshot-tear it down the other week
    such a good cd
    im into alot of the new hardcore aswell like have heart, go it alone, guns up etc
    but the old bands such as slapshot, gorilla biscuits and judge are still up there on my list!!

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I record hardcore bands. Most of the time I just track the direct signal from the Sansamp BDDI, and if that's too flat I end up re-amping it through my Ampeg V4B.

My stereotype for punk sounding bass is the older AFI albums. SVT-II.

There's also the super distorted sounds (Converge "You Fail Me"). V4 cranked like no tomorrow.

To be honest, I don't think you have the right amp for the job, but the BDDI could possibly get you what you're looking for.

6. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    the sansamp is definitely a quick fix for the gear you have right now. does your band have a myspace?

7. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    what bands have you recorded? noticed you're from boston, figured i might know some people...

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The last hardcore band I really worked with was Attacking Frequencies. They've since broken up and gotten back together about 3 times. I'm going to see them play at O'Briens next month to see if I can get them back to the studio and test out some new tricks on the bass!

I'm all about the country and folk lately. Run a big ol' tube amp through a 15" and everything feels like happiness. :smug:

9. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    have heart and guns up both used a jazz bass into a sansamp on their recordings. i think every time i've played with go it alone they had a different bassist, but at least one of those times, their bass player, kyle, had (i think) a geddy lee jazz and this really nice marshall tube amp and an ampeg 810.

10. lomky

lomky

Jan 19, 2006
    I've been having pretty good luck with my Sansamp through a SWR SM-400 and a Yorkville 410. I also use a Musicman SUB 4. We have some recordings on our Myspace

http://www.myspace.com/prisonercinema

Not exactly "hard core" or "punk", and Nothing to write home about on the bass playing department :) , but this was recorded direct from the Sansamp and mic'ed cab w/ an RE27

11. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    P bass and an a Ampeg 810.

12. +1 on the sansamp, should do a decent job until you can afford the SVT! :D