How to get a Thumb BO 5 to sound more like a Thumb BO 4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kesmit, Feb 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kesmit

kesmit

Feb 16, 2011
    I've had a 2004 Thumb BO 4 for several years now using DR Hi-Beams. I love the sound of this bass, but I wanted a 5 string. I bought a 2005 model online figuring it wouldn't sound that much different, but it is much more different sounding than I expected. It has a thinner, more nasally tone. I'm trying different strings and EQ settings to try to normalize the differences.

I ordered some DR FatBeams thinking that might fatten up the sound a bit but I won't have them for another couple of days, and I'm using quite a bit of mid-cut at 500Hz. It's getting closer, but I thought someone out there might have some ideas.

2. kesmit

kesmit

Feb 16, 2011
    I've done some more playing around with this and I've gotten closer. I picked up some Fodera nickel strings that sound pretty decent, but I still need about a 12dB cut in the 500-800Hz range. I also tip the blend a little more to the bridge pickup. It's still not as rich sounding as the Thumb 4 with HiBeams, but it's getting in the ballpark. I'm still waiting to so see how the FatBeams turn out.

3. kesmit

kesmit

Feb 16, 2011
    I may have found the magic. As mentioned above, my Thumb BO 4 has DR Hi-Beams on it. I put DR FatBeams on the Thumb BO 5, and that was a big improvement. However, the important part of the equation is EQ. I just hit the "Color" button on an MXR M-80 pedal, and it gets the sound of the two very close. In fact, I might even like the 5 a little better now. I need to play with it some more to see where the strings settle though.

Garret Graves likes this.
  4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I believe the pickup placement is different on both basses, no? Could be the fact that the 4's neck pickup is closer to the neck is resulting in a deeper tone.

5. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Reroute the body and move one of the pickups.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021