1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to get a Warwick bass if you live in the US?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabe7539, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Gabe7539

Gabe7539 Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Are there any reputable Warwick dealers in the US that sell more than just the basic rockbass standard? You used to be able to purchase them from Thomann but it won't let me anymore because it says Warwick won't let them sell to customers in the US??

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I mean, do you consider Guitar Center, Sam Ash and Musicians Friend reputable?

4. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

I frequent my local Sam Ash and Guitar Center once a month or so and I have never seen a new German made Warwick hanging on the wall.

packhowitzer, Artman and Barticus like this.
  5. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    The store I work at sells them. It's how I got my Streamer Stage 1.

6. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Reverb, Craigslist, etc.
    No one I know bothers to pay full pop for Warwicks anymore

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    There was a time, about 10-12 or so years ago, when Guitar Center had German Warwick’s hanging on the wall.

Sure those stores are indeed reputable...they pretty much won’t rip you off on a new instrument...

Warwick has a couple of showrooms around the country. The one in NYC wound up closing after a few years, but I believe there still exists one in Nashville.

TolerancEJ, gebass6 and TheBear like this.
  8. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    I think the real issue here is the availability of Warwicks. Plenty of dealers available via the finder, but few dealers will have much in stock. Prior to the RockBass days, my local dealer would usually have at least 5 German made Warwicks on the wall. Stock would turn over a few times a year on them. A few years after the Rockbass rollout, I inquired about a Warwick (since they had no stock and I wanted an Alien). They told me they could order anything, but stopped stocking them due to lengthy build times and high cost. They have since switched most of their Warwick space over to other brands (primarily G&L which they move quite a bit of). I suspect many of the smaller dealers have had to make a similar decision. Most probably switched over to carrying Rockbass and ordering Warwick or not carrying them at all.

Goatrope likes this.
  9. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Chicago Music Exchange
    Lovie's Guitars
    Music Store Live
    Musicians Friend

I've bought from all of them. What are you looking for?

10. slamsinger

slamsinger Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Coventry RI
    Ish guitars
    The bass place

Indiana Mike likes this.
  11. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Little dinky mom and pop hole in the wall stores that mainly had wood and brasswinds used to stock a couple Warwicks.

Then again lots of stores used to stock Kramer and Charvel.

12. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This. I got my German Masterbuilt Star Bass II 5’er for just over $2k since I bought it used off of Guitar Center (brand new would have been around $7.5k). I hate that I couldn’t afford to order a new one as everybody I’ve met that works for Warwick (from the CS reps in Germany to the reps that come to NAMM) is very friendly, professional and personable...but I’m just not the sort of demographic that can pay for that right now.

There is indeed one in Nashville, but it’s appointment-only now.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  13. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Warwick has a factory store on 12th Avenue South in Nashville. They have a decent selection, but there aren't many screaming deals. Here's their website: en/Home.html.

Warwicks are fantastic - good luck finding one you want.

14. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I don’t know their policy today, but back in the late 90s/ 2000s, Warwick would not allow dealers to stock their high end basses in small quanties (less than six) and if a dealer wished to stock their mid to lower end models, they were required to also stock a certain number (two or three) of the high end models.
    Small shops with low turnover found it difficult to manage.
    Dealers simply went with easier companies.

Forgive my memories for any preceding inaccuracies

15. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Not sure why manufacturers do this. Gibson is that way too.

16. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    They can be found on eBay. Some sellers have their own non-eBay website if you'd rather not make the purchase on eBay.

17. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Pretty sure that all you will need is some good old fashioned US Dollars....

18. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
  19. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    NJ guitar & bass center has em

Basses

There are often warwicks in the classifieds here on TB too. Several right now. I've got a SS1 I'll be listing soon.

20. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC