How to get Ampeg B100R tone in a gigging rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RiddimKing, Dec 20, 2005.

1. RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    Okay, any help would be appreciated here:

After a long time, I've decided that "my" tone is this:

P-bass or MM Sabre, tone zero'd (or bass on Sabre up a little), through an Ampeg B100R Rocketbass Combo set with Ultra Mid on, Bass at 7, Low Mid at 6; High Mid at 3, Treble at 6. I guess I like a round, bassy sound--kind of "spongy" or what others might call muddy.

Now, the problem is I've tried to replicate this with a more powerful rig for playing out, so I got an Ampeg SVT III Pro, and a Schroeder 1210. It's plenty loud; it cuts through the mix, and it's "musical"--but I realize now that it's not me. Any suggestions? I've tweaked knobs, but can't really seem to come up with what I'm looking for. Do I need a couple of 15 inch cabs to match the tone of the 15 in the B100? Should I go Ampeg on the cab? Thanks in advance.

(Oh, I play alt/indie/power-pop)
  2. anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If one is good but not enough then get two. I gig with two b-100r(s) p-bass w/flat wounds. I Use an a-b-y pedal or go line out from first amp to -15db input of second amp. Same sound twice as loud. Thay stack well ( gets the sound closer to your ears) and will cut through a medium loud band. I used this rig for a while and then instaled male-female speaker jacks in each amps, speaker line. I am now running my b-100r(s) as speaker cabs powerd by my rbi/bass 750 rack. Your svtIII would probably sound good powering these cabs. Stack cabs on there sides and your rack will look right at home on top. This setup also gives you built in backup amps (in case rack amp goes down). These speakers are 150w/ 4 ohm so your amps got to go down to 2 drive a pair. I made up a inline y cord to wire speakers in series at 8 ohm. This rig will get very loud but still sounds like a b-100r. I think these cabs are the biggest part of the b-100r sound. So far the speakers are holding up well.
  3. I tried for years to find a louder version of the B-100R (even posted a similar thread here on TB). Ultimately that sound IMO is the combination of a relatively low powered amplifier fed into a 4 ohm 1x15" in a rear-ported cab. I agree with anderbass that the B-100R speaker and cabinet enclosure are incredibly important to the sound. Even the SVT 1x15" doesn't have that same sound, but it's an 8 ohm front-ported cab.

BTW, cool rig anderbass!
  4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I also tried two B100R's (still own both). I didn't find that using 2 amps did really anything more than a single B100R though (especially if you could place the amp near a wall).

I have a Thunderfunk head which does Ampeg well, but what really gave me the B100R tone was using an Ampeg 1X15 Classic cab in conjunction with the TF. Love that little cab. Plus, with the TF, it goes much louder and deeper than the B100R.

I still use my B100R for smaller venues though (I actually like it better than my B15N).
  5. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas

with a Shure SM57.

Assuming you have PA support.
  6. RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Anderbass: That's an intriguing thought--I'll have to consider the twin B100 solution, although the reason I'd gone with a single Schroeder 1210 was compactness and moderate weight, which I would lose with a two combo. for thought.
  7. RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004

Jagshemash! Love the Borat avatar.

Lync--I'll check out the 15 Ampeg Classic Cab...maybe that will be the right match for the SVT III

Everyone talks about the punch of a 4x10, but I'm thinking that I need to go with my gut, and my own style of playing, and perhaps buck the current trend. Anyway, I'm grateful for the advice.

Re: mic-ing the's not always going to be an option in the clubs I play.
  8. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Dude, B100R's have a line out... run into the PA.