Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get Dave Matthews/ Sublime/ Weezer/ Bob Marley/ Blink182 sounds with 1 bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Jun 6, 2001.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I'm looking to get bass #2 pretty soon. I've played a bunch of basses and I know what I do and don't like with accordance to feel. I am curious on what you would suggest to get one bass that could get sounds simliar to those on Dave Matthews, Sublime, Weezer, Bob Marley, and Blink 182 (just to name a few distinct sounds) and what kind of pickups you would suggest. Right now I have an Ibanez GSR 200 upgraded with EMG PJ's and an Eden Nemesis 210 and can get a few decent sounds out of it, but its just not what I'm looking for. The tension is a bit sloppy, and the feel just isn't right. The sound of the agathis body isn't quite right either... So any suggestions to what you may think it is I'm looking for would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps a Jazz bass or Jazz copy with "vintage" pickups and an EQ?

thanks.
    Dave

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    IMHO, my best bet would be the Fender Jazz Bass. but thats just me :D

3. your amp probably will have a lot to do with your sound.

4. i can get those sounds with the settings on my amp + playing with a pick when needed + plucking close to the neck for reggae. i would think your PJ setup would be pretty versatile... what's your price range?

5. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    turn up your amp volume and play a little softer !
    the notes become deeper ( for reggae )

6. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    i say fender jazz bass, but the bassist for dave mathews uses a musicman 5 string stingray.

7. I've never seen him pictured with a Stingray, but I haven't seen much of the recent DMB stuff. He was a big Warwick user for a while, with the Dolphin as his main bass, and I've also seen him play a Modulus 5.

Mike

8. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    In their new video (The Space Between), he's using a Stingray. I thought that was kinda odd too - though it sounds very good.

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    but thats just a vid... you never know what bass he RECORDED with.. he can just be using that for endorsing a Stingray.. it coul.d be any bass that he RECORDED with

DM

10. Are you sure that's a ray? Only seen a bit of the video but I could've sworn it was a Modulus Fleabass.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hehe, you can tell I'm bored when I go and actively look for info like this, but, to clear up any confusion, this is the info from the Dave Matthews website which may or may not be up to date.

Modulus 5 string bass

Warwick 4 String Dolphin Pro Bass

Warwick 6 String Thumb Bass

Modulus 6 String

Modulus (Flea) 4 String

Modulus (Flea) 5 String

Crest 7001 Power Amplifier

Meyer MSL-2A Speaker Cabinets

Meyer 650 Sub Speaker Cabinets

12. Saw the video (DMB's Space Between) again.. definitely a Modulus Fleabass.

13. I would defintely go with a PJ style. The reggae and blink stuff will benefit greatly from the P pup. and the J is always nice to have when needed.

14. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    At the MTV Movie Awards the Dave Matthews Band played and I think he was playing a Modulus Flea Bass. Of course I couldn't get a very good look because they barley ever show the bassist. No body wants to see the bassist!!! >: (

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Ain't it a shame? And in my experience, the bass player is usually the most suave, attractive one in the bunch. At least, that's how it is in MY band. ;) :D

16. did anyone else noticed that by the end of all these replies it turned from advise on a bass to an argument about what kind of bass the bass player from the dave mathew band plays?

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

It's a Modulus bass in the video. My buddy has the same exact bass

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have an American P-bass Deluxe and it covers more ground than most other basses I've played. The Mexican Jazz Deluxe is also pretty versatile and a lot cheaper.

19. quiet you.

hehe, just kidding, i think it's pretty funny too. to toss in my 2 cents, the footage fox did of DMB playing all along the watchtower (woodstock 99) spent a good amount of time on stefan.

20. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yes its a flea bass ive seen it in person! Ia cant believe he is useing that bass so much now! I liked the warwicks so much better! But i dont understand you playing all those diff bands? Have you tried to play a mathews song or a marley song? Seems to me most players when they get good enough to truly play those songs WELL would not even be interested in playing the other bands? Anyways the only players you listed that have a real good sound that you would have to try to get would be steffan from mathews so get a warwick, or bobs bass player iam sure played a fender american p-bass!