Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get deep growls outta soapbar pickups.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, May 17, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey all, I think you might know what I mean, I'm not sure I do. I really like the way the older Fender P-Basses sounded (like '67), (is that really called growl??) and I wanted to get like a 50th anniversity to get that sound, but I was thinking that maybe there's som way I could get a similat sound outta soapbar pickups? I thouht I tried everything ('cept for like windings and going inside), I have an active 3 band EQ, and can switch from the front and rear pickups. Any help??
    Thanks!!!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its all in the fingerboard. wenge is the growlest to me. not sure if you're using a fender bass, but replacing the neck oughta do the trick.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    No, I'm using a piece of **** Ibanez, and I don't think it's all the neck/fingerboard.

4. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    IME, its easier to get decent growl from a Passive bass such as a Fender P or J bass.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you have a cheap Ibanez, my advice would be to rewire it to bypass the preamp entirely just to see what that sounds like. Most cheap active EQ circuits actually degrade the tone of the bass.

The simplest way to do this is unsolder the wires for each pickup where they enter the preamp board and rewire them straight to the output jack. It's easy to do and easy to return the wiring to normal, too.

If you don't know anything about soldering ask a friend who does to help you with this.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually, another easy thing to do for more growl would be crank up some mids to high mids on your amp. that should pump out a nice growlly tone.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I can get a good growl sound out of my Ibanez SR305 through my dad's Sunn Beta. I boost the bass almost all the way, cut the mid almost completely, and cut the treble to about 4. I then play with both Pickups on and dig in a little bit on my attack. It's not super growly as say a Jazz bass, but it definatley has some growl to it. Of course, the amp I'm going through has a lot to do with it. (Cause there's no why in hell I could ever get it to sound that way through my crappy Crate amp)

8. Use the bridge pup more then the neck one, it may sound a little *weak* but it will be a little growlier. Increasing low mids should help too.

IMO, single coils growl better then humbuckers. 'Buckers may sound heavier, but they sound less growly. YMMV

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My Cirrus is almost always in a constant state of growl. Back off the treble some, boost the bass and tweak the mids to taste.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Replace those Mighty Mite humbuckers with Basslines, and get a new preamp, or bypass the one that is in the bass.

Trust me, I own an SR506. The tone is dull and lifeless. I can't wait to get a new preamp and pickups for it. If I just had a little money.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yeah, I have the smae problem, $ shortage :(. What preamp whould I get instead? A bart? lol, I wish....anyway, I'm going to go home and try that wiring junk just to see how much I can mess things up. Thanks for all the help, and I'll probably be back soon!

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Probably the least expensive preamp that would be easy to install is the Aguilar OBP1 preamp. It is around $100, and if you can't install it yourself, you should be able to get somebody locally to for another $50-$75.

Another idea is to bypass the preamp and use the bass passive. That is not an option for mine, because the pickups are active too.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    With the current knob configuration and electronics box layout, wont I have to do some drilling for that one?

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Also, should I go with active pickups? If so, basslines doesn't have one do they? Or can I just not find them on their web site? Anyway! I really want to get this type of sound, preferably without having to buy a P-Bass, :p. Thanks for all the help guys!
    Ray