1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get drop B on a 4 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by abcdefranklin, Apr 29, 2010.

1. I need help I've never tried it but i've heard that its just not possible. Is there anything i can do other than buying a 5 string bass?

2. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    its nearly impossible dropping an E string to a drop B. Install the B string from a 5 string set on your bass. BEAD tuning.

3. Use the search function. :eek: Search for "BEAD"

4. No, use the lowest 4 of a BEADG set

Edit: And file your nut. :)

5. I would have to only file the nut? theres nothing else i would have to do?

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    You'll very likely need to get a full setup. The setup and repair forum has stickies to help you...

7. yep.

8. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    thats what i meant...also u may have to widen the slots a little and adjust for extra tension..ala a setup..

9. File the nut and get a good set up. It's all I had to do.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Some headstocks allow a Hipshot Xtender to drop from an E all the way down to a B. Only problem is that even if your headstock lets the detuner swing that far, you need to pluck VERY lightly on the string when it's tuned that far down, as it will be quite floppy. A heavier gauge E string will help a little with that.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You may have to adjust for less tension.

12. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    +1 B string has less tension than the G does. Most likely you'll need a full set-up and a truss adjustment.