Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get educated on Vintage Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleestak, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Books, websites, anything and anyone, I want to learn!

I couldn't spot a fake 2 miles away, and I have a serious interest in these old axes. Can anyone point me towards any resource where I can start to learn about the older Fender basses?

One day I would like to own an early 60's Jazz bass, and I woiuld like to learn as much as I can before I even start looking.

Thanks in advance!

Sleestak

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Get The Fender Bass by Black and Molinari (sp?). It's an excellent resource, which covers all U.S. made Fender basses up through about 2001. Check www.backbeatbooks.com, and it's probably available on Amazon.

3. a subscription to Vintage Guitar Magazine is a good start.
    i ordered their "Official Vintage Guitar Magazine's Price Guide"
    2005, from Barnes and Noble's, last year. it is a great, reference tool. it lists the current value of all Fender basses. and has some interesting info on most all manufacturers, guitars, basses, acouctics, effects, and amps. 400+ pages.
    :cool:

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
  5. ChrisdFlip

ChrisdFlip

Feb 4, 2006
    USA
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Much of the details and minutiae of Fender basses is the same as with the guitars. Lots of great information in both the Stratocaster and Telecaster books by A.R. Duchossoir are excellent and very well researched. Details on things like years of colors, build techniques, and parts are pretty much the same on Fender stuff. They both also have a good deal if SN info, like listings of known numbers and years.