Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get fat lows and bright highs at the same time?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Captain_joe6, Dec 22, 2005.

1. So I was at a Bob Weir show the other night and I've been since baffled by their bassist Robin Sylvester's sound. From what I saw, he was running a Gibson Thunderbird into an unknown head, and from there into 2 Mesa cabs which could have easily been 4x10 or 1x15, or a combination. I couldn't make out a manufacturer logo or anything on the head, but I know it was single channel. And thats where the question comes in: how was he able to get clean, clear, crisp hi-fi-like highs (open D and above), and through the same setup durring the same song (any song), get crazy fat, dub-like lows (E and A strings) the likes of which were almost unbearable? I just can't get this one through my brain without thinking "There's got to be some special electronic something there that I didn't see, some crossover or something..."

Anybody got any ideas? I loved the sound and would like to be able to recreate it to some extent.

Thanks all!

2. Well, as has been said many times on these forums, when you hear a live show with PA support, the sound you are most likely hearing comes directly from the bass through the PA... you rarely hear any of the stage amp sound above the PA mains mix. What you were hearing was probably a new set of round wound strings on a good quality bass played by a very good player through a large PA with subs, mids, and horns and a ton of watts.

That type of sound is very difficult to recreate at high volumes with a bass amp. However, you can get close with tons of power, replacing your roundwound strings regularly, and a cab that is large enough (410 for example) and that has a good crossover and tweeter to provide that extended range of sounds.

Finally, the difference in sounds he was getting for various tunes was probably the result of good technique (it's amazing how many different tones you can get out of a bass with the same setting by varying your right (plucking/picking) hand position and technique), and also the sound person running the mains altering the EQ appropriately for each song.

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

+1
    Never trust the FOH sound to be the same as whats on stage unless the artist your seeing name is on the marquee. In this case it wasn't the bass player, but Bob Weir.

And Ken, what are you doing up so early?!??!

4. Good morning!

5. Helstar

Helstar

Nov 26, 2005
    aphex 204

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    aka How to get lost in the mix.

Bass guitar is all about the mids!

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Many good points, above. But, FWIW, with stainless steel roundwounds, I have been able to get very clear, fairly bright highs from my Thunderbird, while maintaining a strong low end with the tight, punchy low mids that make a Thunderbird a Thunderbird.

Tom.

8. Sadowsky outboard pre!

Fat Thick n; Greesey low end at 40Hz and the high end is voiced wonderfully at 4K

that will give you exactly what your looking for and its a pre with a DI so you can get that to go through the PA as well.

9. jablues

jablues

Oct 17, 2005
    Seville, Spain.
    Warwick Streamer Stage II (4 or 5 strings).
    Just this !!!! :bassist:

10. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    KJung got it right.

great technique + good mixing = everything you ever wanted to hear in a bass.

11. jablues

jablues

Oct 17, 2005
    Seville, Spain.
    + Aphex 204 = Amazing tones!! :bassist: